The Oldies Music Board

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 5, 2021 10:59 am  #1

A Classic Oldies Music Special Not Seen Since 1965 Resurfaces On PBS

I hope Lorne, our esteemed Admin., won't mind my ripping off another Boardhost site, but this one is just too good not to pass along here. I saw on SOWNY.net (a place dedicated to radio and TV in Ontario, Canada and Western New York) an alert about a special PBS is running in most areas of the U.S. early Saturday evening. 

It's from a show called "It's What's Happening Baby" hosted by legendary DJ Murray the K, and it hasn't been seen anywhere since June 1965. It's been fully restored and the guest list is incredible: The Supremes, Marvin Gaye, The Miracles, Gary Lewis & The Playboys, Herman's Hermits, Martha Reeves & The Vandellas, Johnny Rivers, The Righteous Brothers, The Drifters and a whole lot more, all very young and at the pinnacle of their amazing careers. 

It appears most markets are airing it between 6 pm and 8 pm, but if you're in the U.S., or in a Canadian city that gets a PBS station on cable, satellite or antenna, you'll have to check your local station to see where they've slotted it. (WNED Buffalo, for instance, has it at 7 PM Saturday night, while KCTS Seattle airs it at the same hour in the Pacific time zone.)

There's more info on this show, including a stunning 5 minute trailer, at the link below. 

Long Unseen 1965 Rock Concert TV Special to Air 

My apologies to the SOWNY folks, but this is definitely a must see.

Last edited by aflem (March 5, 2021 11:00 am)

March 5, 2021 6:50 pm  #2

Re: A Classic Oldies Music Special Not Seen Since 1965 Resurfaces On PBS

Actually, when I saw this on SOWNY, I had thought of posting it here myself but then got busy with other things. So thanks for looking after that.

March 6, 2021 7:45 am  #3

This is something I don't want to miss!  Thanks aflem!

March 6, 2021 11:29 am  #4

T.J. Lubinsky appeared with George Noory last night on Coasttocoastam.

He did a two hour stint & took calls from listeners.

If you want to hear it search for "The best of coasttocoastam podcast"

It runs about 12 minutes 25 seconds with a few promos tossed in

If someone would like to post the link -- please do 

March 7, 2021 9:13 am  #5

I turned it on about 15 minutes into the show.  They were in the studio at that time.  I don't know what I missed, but what I saw I liked a lot.  I was spellbound by the Righteous Brothers and Smokey Robinson and the Miracles.

March 7, 2021 9:40 am  #6

Check the listings online for your local PBS station. A lot of them air these things more than once, so you can catch up on what you missed.

Do a search for "My Music," which is the generic title for the series of musical specials. But don't wait too long. They usually re-air them within a week or less, and sometimes in the middle of the day or night, as opposed to primetime. So you may need to DVR it. (Always a good idea, given the interminable pledge breaks.)

March 7, 2021 9:50 am  #7

It was great! 

I was really surprised to see the part taken in the Ford plant.  I worked as an electrician at the old Leeds and Fairfax plants here in KC.  I got my degree and went to work for a conveyor company and spent time in a lot more auto plants.  Celebrities sometimes visit the plants, I watched Jack Palance do one handed pushups at the end of the final line at the Clacomo plant, but dancing through a paint booth and riding the line in an unfinished body is something I didn’t expect. 

I didn’t expect Fred Gwynne showing up as Herman Munster either.

It was great to see performers on stage properly dressed and without having to scream and bust up guitars to make up for their lack of talent.

It’s on four more times here so I’ll be able to capture it one of those times.

March 7, 2021 10:03 am  #8

The Fred Gwynne/Herman Munster appearance may have been my favorite part. It was so bizarre, it took me totally by surprise. Of course, The Munsters were on CBS at the time, so I guess it was part of a cross-promotional appearance. 

They had so many legends on the show. How in the world did Cannibal & The Headhunters get included? 

March 8, 2021 3:44 am  #9

I greatly appreciated the show, but there were only a few that weren't lip-synching.  Then again, many of their performances were outdoors which don't lend themselves to the quality as indoor or certainly not even close to studio recording.  Really great to see al those faces and talents.

March 8, 2021 8:02 pm  #10

I had a pretty decent bootleg copy (on DVD from video) several years back.  I did not see the PBS airing but I did see the line-up. I just looked at the synopsis from the ORIGINAL airing and these acts were edited out of the PBS airing:
Jan & Dean - One Piece Topless Bathing Suit
Tom Jones - It's Not Unusual
Johnny Mathis - Wild Is The Wind
Bill Cosby - comedy
Dave Clark Five - I Like It Like That
Ray Charles - full medley of hits (??)

Last edited by jthyme (March 8, 2021 8:03 pm)

March 9, 2021 9:05 am  #11

jthyme wrote:

I had a pretty decent bootleg copy (on DVD from video) several years back.  I did not see the PBS airing but I did see the line-up. I just looked at the synopsis from the ORIGINAL airing and these acts were edited out of the PBS airing:
Jan & Dean - One Piece Topless Bathing Suit
Tom Jones - It's Not Unusual
Johnny Mathis - Wild Is The Wind
Bill Cosby - comedy
Dave Clark Five - I Like It Like That
Ray Charles - full medley of hits (??)

yeah, i've got the boot version around here somewhere, too. it's a shame if pbs chopped it up, but i imagine the video and sound quality was improved, in any case.

March 9, 2021 3:45 pm  #12

Cannibal & Headhunters would certainly not be listed among the legends, but two things they did were....
They toured with the Beatles in 1964.
The famed "Na-Nanana-Na-Nanana-Na-Nana-Na-Nana-Na" scat singing in "The Land Of 1000 Dances" lived on for many years.

March 9, 2021 7:20 pm  #13

The PBS version was edited because some artists or their estates refused to give clearance rights to the performances.

Tom Diehl

March 9, 2021 9:31 pm  #14

StereoTom wrote:

The PBS version was edited because some artists or their estates refused to give clearance rights to the performances.

Thanks for the info, Tom.  That explains why I didn't see some of the artists discussed on the board.

March 12, 2021 6:35 am  #15

You're very welcome. I saw TJ Lubinsky discussing it on another message board.

Tom Diehl

Board footera