The Oldies Music Board

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 14, 2021 9:14 am  #1

Why The Byrds Preferred Another Version Of "Eight Miles High"

Like "It's Me Karen," who frequently posts here, I love learning new stuff about songs that I've been listening to for years. The article below contains one nugget that's really pretty bizarre. When The Byrds recorded "Eight Miles High," one of the first true psychedelic songs of the 60s, the version that was released wasn't the one they really liked. 

They'd done a first take of the tune but the record company refused to release it. Why? Not because it was so drug oriented but because The Byrds had recorded the original in another studio unaffiliated with their record company. So even though they liked the original better, the group was forced to re-record the entire thing in a place their label owned. 

And that's the version that's become legendary. 

I can only wonder what the original sounded like and why they liked it better. But I'm guessing that's forever lost to history.

The Story Of The Byrds'  Eight Miles High 

March 14, 2021 12:54 pm  #2

Re: Why The Byrds Preferred Another Version Of "Eight Miles High"

Thanks for the shoutout,  aflem.  I also wonder what the original version sounded like.  But you know, life has funny twists and this might be one where the second version was the better choice.  It's something we'll probably never know. Sigh...

March 14, 2021 2:58 pm  #3

Actually, we just might. I found this on YouTube. It's listed as being an "alternate version" of the song that the group liked better. It was recorded at RCA. I'm guessing this could be the one referred to in the article. There are some differences, especially in the vocals, but it pretty much sounds like the one we all know. At least to me. See what you think. 

March 14, 2021 6:05 pm  #4

I purchased the Fifth Dimension album, April 30 1996 remix release CD (catalog #: CK 64847), which includes the RCA Alternate of both the Eight Miles High and Why which are, subtly different.  When comparing to the original Columbia releases with the original RCA recordings:
Eight Miles High (Columbia)      RCA
~3:40 minutes                        ~3:20 minutes
Columbia: noticeably sped up (a bit), had higher, and crisper vocals and a less dark feel overall  McGuinn's lead guitar is dominate in this version and more subtle in the RCA alternate.
RCA: very low, chanting, hypnotic vocals and a much slower intro

As for Why:  roughly the same run time.  No intro on the RCA alternate

I, personally, prefer the Columbia, polished variant, however, the RCA alternate has a place.

Karen:  "never" is a long time! (;>)))

Last edited by Little Rich (March 14, 2021 6:09 pm)

March 14, 2021 6:06 pm  #5

To me, it's relatively the same, but the guitar work in this one is more aggressive than the other one.   In fact, in some parts, the guitar somewhat overpowers the vocals.  Sorry, Byrds, I prefer the one that was released.

Board footera