The Oldies Music Board

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 8, 2020 7:33 pm  #1

Nat Geo Offers First Look At Next Genius: "Aretha Franklin"

So far, the Genius series has done Albert Einstein and Pablo Picasso. But the next installment, coming May 25th in the U.S. (not sure about other countries just yet) features the multi-part story of Aretha Franklin.

The first teaser has been released, but I feel sorry for the actress playing the lead. Don't know a lot about Oscar nominee Cynthia Erivo, but there's rarely an upside to playing such a famous and well known figure. Hopefully, she nails it but it's a challenging role to take on.

Last edited by aflem (February 8, 2020 7:34 pm)

February 8, 2020 9:32 pm  #2

Re: Nat Geo Offers First Look At Next Genius: "Aretha Franklin"

No doubt that all the honors and prestige earned by Aretha are well deserved.  I do hope that the TV story does well.  Given the wide range of music that showed up, courtesy of AFRTS, to my Far East Network station in far north Japan in '61-'62, the presence of a couple tracks from Aretha's Columbia days introduced me to her early on in her career.   I can't add any more plaudits to her numerous honors and recognition other than to say "Amen!!"

August 4, 2020 9:51 am  #3

I was wondering whatever happened to this limited series, which was supposed to air on the Memorial Day weekend in the U.S. (and likely Canada.) But COVID brought an end to filming and it turns out, they still haven't finished casting the entire thing, so it could be a long while before we ever get to see this. Still, some scenes have been shot and they've put out a special in-production reel to prove the program is still on its way. It gives a small glimpse of what you'll be seeing - probably later rather than sooner. 

‘Genius: Aretha’ Doesn’t Know When COVID-19 Halted Atlanta Production Will Resume; Music Exec Clive Davis Not Cast Yet

February 9, 2021 4:59 pm  #4

It has been a very long time since this thread first went up. (As an example, the word COVID had not quite been coined yet when this was originally posted.) But finally, Nat Geo has scheduled the long awaited show about the life of The Queen of Soul. I will definitely be watching when it debuts in March. 

And you won't have to wait long to see the entire thing. 

Genius: Aretha Gets New Premiere Date, Episodes to Roll Out Across One Week

Last edited by aflem (February 9, 2021 5:20 pm)

March 12, 2021 4:22 pm  #5

I've been following this for a very long time and this long-delayed mini-series finally airs the week of March 21st. The first review is in and it's a spectacular rave. I was never the biggest Franklin fan, but I'm really looking forward to seeing this series, especially after reading this. 

Big story, great music, fine acting drive Aretha Franklin series on National Geographic

March 21, 2021 4:39 pm  #6

Just a reminder for anyone interested (and who gets the channel in their cable package) this airs in both the U.S. and Canada Sunday night.

March 22, 2021 11:03 am  #7

aflem wrote:

Just a reminder for anyone interested (and who gets the channel in their cable package) this airs in both the U.S. and Canada Sunday night.

i assumed the pbs show (which indeed did not air here) to be a proper documentary in the manner of ken burns. if it was in fact this docu-drama, i'd have been disappointed. happening upon it, i watched about five minutes of the muscle shoales segment. not bad acting i suppose, and it sounded like they got the dialogue from jerry wexler's book perhaps. in any case not at all what i was expecting, and it seemed to be an overly melodramatic portrait, though again, i only watched about five minutes...

Last edited by gopher (March 22, 2021 11:40 am)

Board footera