The Oldies Music Board

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 23, 2021 6:43 pm  #1

Kate Goldfield (former regular on the Oldies Music Bulletin Board)

I have some very sad news to pass along regarding Kate Goldfield, who had been a regular on the previous version of this board ... she passed away this morning, at the age of only 37. Kate and I were friends on Facebook, and this afternoon I saw the following post that a friend of hers had passed along on behalf of her stepmother and father. 

SAD NEWS ABOUT KATE
This morning Kate’s stepmom Diane wrote:
The only thing I can tell you is that I have never seen her look so peaceful.
The doctors don’t know what caused her to crash so quickly and are going to recommend that the medical examiner does an autopsy.
Kate will be cremated and we will all get together this summer and send Kate to the ocean via Sebago Lake.
Thank you for being such a good friend to her.
Love, 
Diane and Dave

March 24, 2021 5:11 am  #2

Re: Kate Goldfield (former regular on the Oldies Music Bulletin Board)

I don't know what to say.  I'm in disbelief and so sad.  Kate was loved on this board, kind of like the little sister.  To this day, whenever I hear a Pet Clark song, I think of Kate.  RIP Kate.

March 24, 2021 8:29 am  #3

It's hard for me to know what to say here, but I'll try. Back in December, I had seen a Facebook post from Kate in which she had expressed a need for more people in her life that she could really talk with. So I reached out to her, and we started talking on the phone on a regular basis. I became increasingly concerned about different aspects of how she was doing, but it was very difficult to find good solutions. In particular, this was because she had a condition called Multiple Chemical Sensitivity, in addition to having Asperger's Syndrome. She discussed how all of this affected her on a blog that she used to maintain at http://aspiefrommaine.blogspot.com/2010/06/.

In January she had told me about having breathing difficulties, and she ended up going to the hospital and being diagnosed with walking pneumonia. She was given medication for it and eventually her breathing got better, but the difficulties had returned again recently. She had talked to me about going to the hospital on Sunday, and I told her that I thought she should do so. However, she had been there for ten hours when she went on a weekday in January, and she thought that it was likely to be busier on a weekend. She then talked to me again on Monday about going to the hospital ... I told her that I definitely thought she should go, and she told me that she was going to do so. I'm very deeply saddened that she passed away so suddenly, and it's hard to believe that she's gone.

March 24, 2021 2:49 pm  #4

Lorne wrote:

It's hard for me to know what to say here, but I'll try. Back in December, I had seen a Facebook post from Kate in which she had expressed a need for more people in her life that she could really talk with. So I reached out to her, and we started talking on the phone on a regular basis. I became increasingly concerned about different aspects of how she was doing, but it was very difficult to find good solutions. In particular, this was because she had a condition called Multiple Chemical Sensitivity, in addition to having Asperger's Syndrome. She discussed how all of this affected her on a blog that she used to maintain at http://aspiefrommaine.blogspot.com/2010/06/.

In January she had told me about having breathing difficulties, and she ended up going to the hospital and being diagnosed with walking pneumonia. She was given medication for it and eventually her breathing got better, but the difficulties had returned again recently. She had talked to me about going to the hospital on Sunday, and I told her that I thought she should do so. However, she had been there for ten hours when she went on a weekday in January, and she thought that it was likely to be busier on a weekend. She then talked to me again on Monday about going to the hospital ... I told her that I definitely thought she should go, and she told me that she was going to do so. I'm very deeply saddened that she passed away so suddenly, and it's hard to believe that she's gone.

I'm so glad you kept in touch with Kate.  Sounds like she needed someone, and there you were.  I'm sure she was grateful for your friendship and that you brightened her life at the time.  That's what friends are for.

March 25, 2021 2:28 am  #5

Lorne - you're a saint.  When she needed someone you reached out and touched her. It must have been very disheartening for you.  But you made the best of a very touch situation for someone who was a regular on the Board here.  You're a good man and God love you for it, My Friend!!!

March 25, 2021 3:55 am  #6

Little Rich wrote:

Lorne - you're a saint.  When she needed someone you reached out and touched her. It must have been very disheartening for you.  But you made the best of a very touch situation for someone who was a regular on the Board here.  You're a good man and God love you for it, My Friend!!!

i will echo rich's sentiment. i can't recall, but i think i may have had some email communication with kate at some point, but it's impossible not to vividly remember her enthusiastic posts which reminded us all of the value and lasting impact quality in music can have, regarldless of genre, throughout an assortment of generations. i believe she was still a teenager when she first  visited the board...

perhaps, lorne, you could compile these posts, and pass them on to her family? i'm sure they would appreciate knowing how much we cared for and remember her, as well as how much she contributed to our community, such as we may be.

Last edited by gopher (March 25, 2021 4:31 am)

March 26, 2021 9:02 pm  #7

I don't check this message board as often as I used to with the old board. I was notified by Lorne earlier today about what had happened, and I am in complete shock. I had known Kate for almost 2/3 of my life. She related to me in multiple ways, not just as an oldies fan, but also as an Aspie, as I am also on the autism spectrum.

It is hard for me to lose my friend, although we hadn't been as close as we used to be, in recent years. I will definitely treasure our past friendship, and I will always think of her every time I hear a Petula Clark song, anything with French singing in it, and remembering how one of her favorite songs was Gary Puckett and the Union Gap's This Girl Is A Woman Now. 

I made a post on Facebook with more comments, as I am really at a loss for words, along with a photo of Kate and I from when we met back in 2002. Rest in peace, Kate. 

Tom Diehl

March 28, 2021 1:02 pm  #8

I received a message yesterday from Kate's stepmother Diane, because she and Kate's father Dave had read through all the comments here about Kate. She asked me to thank all of you on their behalf, for the kind comments and expressions of sympathy. I very much appreciate what everyone has had to say as well. 

March 29, 2021 2:59 pm  #9

Here's Kate's obituary.  

Kaitlin Goldfield
February 24, 1984
March 23, 2021

Kaitlin Goldfield, 37, of Portland Maine, passed away on March 23, 2021. Kate was born on 2/24/84 in Johnstown, PA.

She was a graduate of Greely High School in Cumberland and went on to attend Goucher College in Towson, Maryland.

She is survived by her twin brother Jake, her parents, David Goldfield and Valerie Saffer, her brother Spencer and her step parents Diane Rogers and Ned Vasquez.

Kate was a beautiful soul who struggled much of her adult life with both mental and physical illness. In the past year her health had deteriorated significantly. She was diagnosed with Pneumonia in January and continued to have symptoms which became worse in March. After much encouragement from family and friends, she went to the emergency room and while she was being worked up she went into cardiac arrest.

Kate will be remembered as a generous woman who was passionate about life and cared deeply about her friends and family. Kate had a wonderful sense of humor and a quick smile and wit.

She enjoyed music, writing, and was looking forward to swimming in Sebago Lake this summer.

Kate will be dearly missed. A celebration of her life will be held on June 26 at the home of Diane Rogers and Dave Goldfield.

Online condolences may be expressed below.

http://www.coastalcremationservices.com/Content/Sidebar/FOV2-00014E83/S00C43BDF-00C43BEF 

March 30, 2021 2:19 am  #10

I want  to thank everyone  personally for the kindness and sympathy expressed on this board.
I learned things I never knew about Kate. Petula Clark will certainly be played at her celebration of life ceremony. I never realized the reach of her
personality. Growing up in the 60's we mainly listened to Greaful Dead and Beatles music when she would visit.
Again, many thanks to all...

March 30, 2021 10:11 am  #11

Dave G wrote:

I want to thank everyone personally for the kindness and sympathy expressed on this board.
I learned things I never knew about Kate. Petula Clark will certainly be played at her celebration of life ceremony. I never realized the reach of her
personality. Growing up in the 60's we mainly listened to Greaful Dead and Beatles music when she would visit.

It means a lot that you posted here.  As you already know, we loved Kate.  Her contribution on this board was welcomed as well as looked forward to.  Not putting any pressure on you...at all, I sincerely mean it and would understand if you chose not to...but anytime you want to contribute yourself here would be appreciated.  I know a few posters here that are huge Beatle fans, me included, that would love to reminisce.  Heck, we like to reminisce of anything about oldies!

March 30, 2021 4:15 pm  #12

Just heard this morning Lorne and so very sad. I used to communicate with her a bit in old days and appreciated her zest and enthusiasm for life, she was like a breath of fresh air,   Go easy Kate.

March 31, 2021 1:22 am  #13

Noticed this afternoon that Kate was an author with a book  on her life selling on line. Also some chapters are available to read on line.    Very gifted lady. 

March 31, 2021 3:17 am  #14

It's me Karen wrote:

Dave G wrote:

I want to thank everyone personally for the kindness and sympathy expressed on this board.

It means a lot that you posted here.  As you already know, we loved Kate.  Her contribution on this board was welcomed as well as looked forward to.  Not putting any pressure on you...at all, I sincerely mean it and would understand if you chose not to...but anytime you want to contribute yourself here would be appreciated.  I know a few posters here that are huge Beatle fans, me included, that would love to reminisce.  Heck, we like to reminisce of anything about oldies!

i, too, hope you'll join in from time to time, dave. the grateful dead could use a little more representation around these parts, without a doubt..

Board footera