The Oldies Music Board

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 21, 2021 10:12 am  #1

Why Neil Young Hates David Crosby

For two men who produced such great harmonies, there's no longer any harmony between them at all. 

Why Neil Young hates David Crosby

April 21, 2021 5:41 pm  #2

Re: Why Neil Young Hates David Crosby

aflem wrote:

For two men who produced such great harmonies, there's no longer any harmony between them at all. 

Why Neil Young hates David Crosby

Well, they didn't hold anything back on their comments!  Whew!!  I have seen Echo In The Canyon twice and Crosby admitted to his own obnoxious personality and behavior.  Bottom Line:  He will never change or apologize - that's the way he is.  Quite frankly, full of himself.  IMHO he has written some great music, BUT...  There's a reason why he has not been very compatible in any group situation, in part, because he has a big head.  I have his last three albums and they are, again IMHO, some of his greatest.  Remind me of his early stuff with the Byrds.  And he could write books about drug and alcohol addiction.  Great music, bad juju.

April 22, 2021 5:04 am  #3

I remember watching a talk show in the early 70s., one that favored putting rock acts on, and CSN were in a small circle with guitars, starting a song together.  The crowd cheered and Crosby put his hands up, not missing a beat with his harmonies, to quiet the crowd.   God forbid if we miss a note.

April 22, 2021 1:07 pm  #4

Actually, Gordon Lightfoot did that once during one of this concerts I attended.  It wasn't the crowd, it was the fact that one of the strings on his guitar was off by about half note  He tuned the one string then continued.

Last edited by Little Rich (April 22, 2021 1:09 pm)

April 22, 2021 2:37 pm  #5

Little Rich wrote:

Actually, Gordon Lightfoot did that once during one of this concerts I attended.  It wasn't the crowd, it was the fact that one of the strings on his guitar was off by about half note  He tuned the one string then continued.

being able to hear yourself onstage can be helpful. monitors weren't invented to stroke egos.

April 22, 2021 3:21 pm  #6

I have watched his autobiographical documentary, "Gordon Lightfoot: If You Could Read My Mind" and I didn't detect much of an ego there.  He's a brilliant musician who has done well and is highly respected by his countrymen and other musicians.

April 23, 2021 9:37 am  #7

Little Rich wrote:

I have watched his autobiographical documentary, "Gordon Lightfoot: If You Could Read My Mind" and I didn't detect much of an ego there.  He's a brilliant musician who has done well and is highly respected by his countrymen and other musicians.

I agree. I've consistently seen over the years that Lightfoot is a class act, and I thought about that as I read your previous post about why he would have needed quiet to tune his guitar string properly -- it was so he could give his audience his best. Conversely, I've seen one negative thing after another over the years about Crosby's behaviour towards others, and so I can definitely see him showing a lack of consideration for his audience in the way that Karen described. When I had first read that Young was no longer willing to work with him I had been sorry to see this, but when I read the details combined with Crosby's other behaviour over the years, I found it totally understandable ... I'd feel the same way if I were him. 

April 23, 2021 10:35 am  #8

There's often a fine line between love and hate - but it can inspire some amazing music. 

14 Bands Whose Members Hated Each Other's Guts

Board footera