The Oldies Music Board

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 8, 2021 10:04 pm  #1

Another Great Gone: Lloyd Price Dies At 88

It seems lately there are no end to these sad obits. The latest is Lloyd Price, who had hits with "Personality," "I'm Going To Get Married" and "Stagger Lee."

I often wondered why there were two versions of Stagger Lee and his obit by the Associated Press explains it. In one, Stagger Lee shoots Billy. In another, the two make up and they were, as the song goes, "no more sore." But American Bandstand's Dick Clark didn't like the implicit violence and murder in the original version and convinced Price to change the outcome, something the singer was reluctant to do. 

Price was 88.

Lloyd Price, singer and early rock influence, dies at 88

May 9, 2021 3:59 pm  #2

Re: Another Great Gone: Lloyd Price Dies At 88

NO NO NO NO NO!!   Not Lloyd!!!  The first love of my life, my 12 year old crush,  He had a pretty active Facebook page, but I had noticed he had been quiet of late,  Of course, you know, when anyone gets to that age, that something unpleasant could happen at any time.  But I sure wasn't expecting it.  I'm devastated. 
Short and sweet - Lloyd and Little Richard

Last edited by Flo (May 10, 2021 9:26 am)

May 10, 2021 7:43 pm  #3

May 12, 2021 5:08 am  #4

The obituary Joe Coscarelli wrote on L. Price contains interesting info, incl. that Fats Domino was his pianist on Lawdy Miss Clawdy, that when he owned LL Records a young Wilson Pickett was on the roster, and that Larry Williams was his one-time chauffeur

Had always thought "Where Were You On Our Wedding Day" (charted March '59) was the answer to "I'm Gonna Get Married" (charted August '59).     Lyrics told a logical story but they charted in the opposite (illogical) order.

Comment?   

Last edited by G. (May 12, 2021 1:03 pm)

Board footera