The Oldies Music Board

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 16, 2021 5:52 am  #1

Was This The Greatest Year For Rock Music?

The pundit at the link below tries to make the case that 1971 was the greatest year for rock music, with an undeniable number of classic LPs being released that still stand the test of time today. 

I don't buy that at all - in my somewhat addled mind, it was either 1964, with the start of The Beatles and the British Invasion in North America, or 1969, the last year of the 60s, where nearly every song on the radio was simply terrific and you could take your choice of amazing pop, bubble gum, folk or classic rock, just as everything was starting to mix together. But your mileage may vary. 

It's really almost impossible to pick (and a lot depends on when you came of age) but if you had to, what would be your best year for music? 

1971 rock — Classic yet intransient

May 16, 2021 7:35 am  #2

Re: Was This The Greatest Year For Rock Music?

I would agree '71 was not the greatest year.

May 16, 2021 8:59 am  #3

"Rock 'n roll's been goin' downhill ever since Buddy Holly died"

John Milner
Sept 1962

May 16, 2021 9:37 am  #4

There are singer-songwriter albums listed here. A couple of rockers. To my ears, the greatest years for music are 1964-1970. Hard to pick one as I loved the great majority of pop hits of that era.  The classic rock from 1967-1970 with a more bluesy rock feel were more pleasing to my ears. Now I notice they say rock music. Just as one may not consider the 4 Seasons or Jay & the Americans [who I love]  to be rock, one may not consider Joni Mitchell, James Taylor or Carole King to be rock. 

May 16, 2021 11:12 am  #5

G. wrote:

"Rock 'n roll's been goin' downhill ever since Buddy Holly died"

John Milner
Sept 1962

milner is a fictional character who never, in any case, lived to hear the flamin' groovies, nevermind x, not to mention sleater kinney..

Last edited by gopher (May 16, 2021 11:37 am)

May 16, 2021 2:04 pm  #6

gopher wrote:

milner is a fictional character who never, in any case, lived to hear the flamin' groovies, nevermind x, not to mention sleater kinney 

Milner is a folk hero who was the victim of a drunk driver in '64.   Who can say that he wouldn't have eventually embraced the F. Groovies, et al?

Last edited by G. (May 16, 2021 2:07 pm)

May 17, 2021 8:18 am  #7

G. wrote:

gopher wrote:

milner is a fictional character who never, in any case, lived to hear the flamin' groovies, nevermind x, not to mention sleater kinney 

Milner is a folk hero who was the victim of a drunk driver in '64.   Who can say that he wouldn't have eventually embraced the F. Groovies, et al?

fair point, ta.

May 21, 2021 3:29 pm  #8

Turns out this claim comes up again in a new Apple TV Plus documentary. But I still disagree that '71 was the pinnacle. 

It’s 1971 again in the documentary series ‘The Year That Music Changed Everything’

May 21, 2021 6:46 pm  #9

The preview looks good, though. Too bad I don't have (and won't get) AppleTV+.

Last edited by aflem (May 21, 2021 6:49 pm)

Board footera