The Oldies Music Board

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 6, 2021 2:41 pm  #1

Stories Behind The Greatest Songs Of 1970 & 1971

I always love these kinds of articles that fill in the blank behind some classic hits. There are several revelations in the ones below, if this was part of your era, including why Carole King's It's Too Late and O-o-h Child by the Five Stairsteps weren't meant to be hits, why Bill Withers repeated "I know" 26 times on Ain't No Sunshine, the ridiculous reason Isaac Hayes almost didn't win the Oscar for the Theme From Shaft and who almost had the hit with Your Song before Elton John. 

The Real-Life Stories Behind 15 of the Greatest Songs of 1971 

The 26 Biggest Hits of 1970 

Last edited by aflem (June 6, 2021 2:42 pm)

June 6, 2021 3:45 pm  #2

Re: Stories Behind The Greatest Songs Of 1970 & 1971

I love the story behind "Ain't No Sunshine" about the I know part.  I never gave it a second thought when first hearing it.  I thought it was a little strange, but never thought it was a filler until another line could be created.  I think the finished product is perfect.

June 6, 2021 5:11 pm  #3

It's weird how these odd anomalies sometimes sneak into hit records. A previous post indicates that Otis Redding whistling at the end of Dock of the Bay was a placeholder until he could finish the song. That ended when he was killed in a plane crash.

The story goes that the feedback at the start of the Beatles' I Feel Fine was an accident. 

"Last Train to Clarksville" by the Monkees was supposed to have words where the "do-do-do-do" part sung by Mickey Dolenz is. But they were filming all day and it was after midnight when the song was recorded and he complained he couldn't possibly learn the complicated lyrics, so they left it as is. 

And then there are the accidents that get by. Andrew Gold's "Lonely Boy" has him saying in the final verse, "She gave her a son," when it should clearly have been "him." Why didn't they ever correct that? 

Then there's "I Saw Her Again" by the Mamas & The Papas. A one point, Denny Doherty sings "I saw her..." then stops, before saying it again when the chorus resumes. I met Doherty many years ago, and I never thought to ask him about it. I wish I had. It's been bugging me for years! 

June 6, 2021 10:01 pm  #4

Here's an explanation regarding the mistake in I Saw Her Again from https://www.songfacts.com/facts/the-mamas-the-papas/i-saw-her-again:
Lou Adler produced this song, and Bones Howe was the engineer for the session. According to Bones, the part around the 2:45 mark where "I saw her" is repeated twice was a happy accident. Said Bones: "We were punching vocals in, and when we came to that part where the rhythm stops and the group goes, 'I saw her again last night,' I just punched in early. They came in early, and so we stopped. And then we went back and started again, and I punched in at the beginning of the vocal, they started two bars later or whatever it was. And when I played it back, the vocal went, 'I saw her - I saw her again.' It was a mistaken punch. And Lou said, 'I love it! Leave it in.' It was an error, it was a mistake. But Lou was wise enough, it caught his ear and he left it. And I learned something from that. You go with your gut. If something catches - they could be - there are wonderful mistakes that happen in the studio and you have to learn to catch those when they happen and use them."

June 6, 2021 10:07 pm  #5

So that's why it's there. I've always wondered. Thanks for the explanation. Serendipity - a happy accident.  

June 7, 2021 3:31 pm  #6

It had never occurred to me that it was a mistake until I found out it had happened by accident. Although I didn't know all of those additional details at the time, I figured that it had been left in because it sounded very good and natural the way it was. 

June 9, 2021 6:01 pm  #7

aflem wrote:

It's weird how these odd anomalies sometimes sneak into hit records. A previous post indicates that Otis Redding whistling at the end of Dock of the Bay was a placeholder until he could finish the song   

Regular visitors to this message board who also watch JEOPARDY 5 nights a week, likely applauded them/our selves while hollering "Who was Otis Redding" in today's Final Jeopardy

June 10, 2021 7:28 am  #8

G. wrote:

aflem wrote:

It's weird how these odd anomalies sometimes sneak into hit records. A previous post indicates that Otis Redding whistling at the end of Dock of the Bay was a placeholder until he could finish the song   

Regular visitors to this message board who also watch JEOPARDY 5 nights a week, likely applauded them/our selves while hollering "Who was Otis Redding" in today's Final Jeopardy

Alas, I was not inside watching TV last night.  Pray tell, what was the Final Answer?

June 10, 2021 8:55 am  #9

June 10, 2021 9:20 am  #10

I saw this. Well, I don't know all that much about 2021 music.

June 10, 2021 1:47 pm  #11

Mark H. wrote:

I saw this. Well, I don't know all that much about 2021 music.

Your comment reminds me of a music trivia contest I attended at a bar two years ago.  My coworkers begged me to come join a team with them, knowing my love for music.  The DJ played about 10 songs from each decade starting at the 60s and ending with todays music.  She played the song several seconds.  Each team had a shot at a song, naming the artist and the title.  If they couldn't get both, the next team in line got a stab.  Well, the team pretty much left me alone during the 60s and 70s.  We cleaned up.  I even won Jello shots for the table, where each team chose someone to represent them.  They chose me.  The DJ played a song and when you knew the song and title, you raised your hand.  The song started.  Instrumental beginning. Nothing.  I started to remember this song, then raised my hand, right before the singing.  I was right.  Bobby Sherman singing "Little Woman".  

Well, this brings me to the point of this post and why it reminded me of what Mark posted.  Once they got to the 90s,  I was dead.  Totally dead.  I knew nearly nothing.  Another team knew their stuff about 90s and beyond.  They finished first, we second out of six teams..

Last edited by It's me Karen (June 10, 2021 1:50 pm)

June 10, 2021 2:42 pm  #12

Well, of my +11,000-song collection, I decided about ten years ago that the VERY LEAST I can do to "stay current" on the pop charts was to collect the #1 singles, BUT I REALLY don't know much of anything from the +90s,  Period.  I have the #1s but I am not really on top of them.  On my show RARELY do I get requests for anything in that time frame anyway.  When I reviewed my collection, looking at the 90s, I noted many artists racking up top spot on the charts - many of them are either "mature artists" continuing to score (Paul McCartney's "McCartney III" album which charted #1; Santana) AND second generation or sibs including Wilson Phillips, Janet Jackson.

June 13, 2021 9:45 am  #13

Due to my hosting karaoke , I know and like some 90s and beyond tunes. Most of them , I consider average and not something I would voluntarily listen to. Favorite artists are Red Hot Chili Peppers, Train and Black Keys which fit in with classic rock. On occasion a song with a retro feel becomes a fave.

June 14, 2021 10:51 am  #14

"old dreams die hard."  green on red

June 14, 2021 2:17 pm  #15

gopher wrote:

"old dreams die hard."  green on red

This board needs a thumb's up icon.

June 14, 2021 3:16 pm  #16

Boardhost provides admins with a choice of four sets of emoticons, so I just had a look to see if one of the other sets had a thumb's up -- but none of them do. Kind of surprising considering that they do have an option that provides that kind of icon at the top of each thread, but that just allows people to indicate that they like the thread itself as opposed to individual posts. I am very happy with what Boardhost provides overall, however, considering that it's free and it's also very easy for me to administer. Last year I spent a fair amount of time looking at other possibilities for another site that I wanted to set up, but I couldn't find anything else that had the combination of ease of use and functionality that Boardhost has. They probably make me look like I know more about running a board than I really do. 

June 14, 2021 4:03 pm  #17

I greatly appreciate your hosting this Board, Lorne.

Thanks much!!

June 14, 2021 4:03 pm  #18

Lorne wrote:

Boardhost provides admins with a choice of four sets of emoticons, so I just had a look to see if one of the other sets had a thumb's up -- but none of them do. Kind of surprising considering that they do have an option that provides that kind of icon at the top of each thread, but that just allows people to indicate that they like the thread itself as opposed to individual posts. I am very happy with what Boardhost provides overall, however, considering that it's free and it's also very easy for me to administer. Last year I spent a fair amount of time looking at other possibilities for another site that I wanted to set up, but I couldn't find anything else that had the combination of ease of use and functionality that Boardhost has. They probably make me look like I know more about running a board than I really do. 

June 14, 2021 4:29 pm  #19

Yes, I figured that there must be ways that people could take this matter into their own hands. 

June 15, 2021 7:12 am  #20

Little Rich wrote:

I greatly appreciate your hosting this Board, Lorne.

Thanks much!!

I agree!

Board footera