The Oldies Music Board

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 15, 2021 2:54 pm  #1

What’s In A Name? A Ridiculous Oldies Argument

I have one of those friends that’s always up for an argument. One of our latest was admittedly pretty silly and I have no idea exactly how it came up. The question: what man’s name occurs more often in oldies - Johnny or Bobby?

After throwing this earth-shaking mystery around for a bit, we both agreed that “Johnny” is the almost certain winner – Johnny Get Angry, Johnny B. Goode, Johnny (who appears twice in Lesley Gore’s “It’s My Party” and “Judy’s Turn to Cry") and a host of other Johnny’s (including the guy who’s “Gonna Get Married” in the late Lloyd Price’s song.) That seems to be the consensus. Then there's Johnny Rivers, Johnny Crawford, Johnny Mathis, Johnny Cash and more Johns than at a Port-a-Potty convention.

Bobby is a close second – Marcie Blaine wanted to be his girl, and then there’s a basket of Bobby’s: Vinton, Rydell, Darin, Goldsboro, Curtola, Hart, Fuller and on and on.

We were less able to come to an agreement on the most common woman’s name in vintage rock. One of us argued it was “Mary” that should carry while the other insisted “Sue” was true. I’m not sure if anyone wants to weigh in on this completely useless argument but it certainly was fun while it lasted.

Last edited by aflem (June 15, 2021 2:56 pm)

June 15, 2021 3:06 pm  #2

Re: What’s In A Name? A Ridiculous Oldies Argument

What happened to Jimmy?

June 15, 2021 3:14 pm  #3

He never came up, but you may have a point there. A million Jimmys come to mind - Jimmy Soul, Jimmie Rogers, Jimi Hendrix. There's Go Jimmy, Go. And Jimmy was the Leader of the Pack on the famous Shangi-Las song of the same name. Still not sure he beats Johnny, though. 

Last edited by aflem (June 15, 2021 3:20 pm)

June 16, 2021 11:04 pm  #4

I have a friend who collects Judy songs and has over 200 of them... though most were not hits.

Tom Diehl

June 17, 2021 7:31 am  #5

Flo wrote:

What happened to Jimmy?

he stole a bellboy's scooter and drove it off a cliff into the sea.

sorry, didn't mean to distract, but being a who fan, you gave me an opening 8^}  gotta plug 'em when ya can.

June 17, 2021 9:09 am  #6

aflem wrote:

We were less able to come to an agreement on the most common woman’s name in vintage rock. One of us argued it was “Mary” that should carry while the other insisted “Sue” was true. I’m not sure if anyone wants to weigh in on this completely useless argument but it certainly was fun while it lasted.

I think that Sue is worthy of special mention, given that it was also used in the title of a hit record about a boy. 

June 18, 2021 11:53 am  #7

well then we should also consider "Lola"

Board footera