The Oldies Music Board

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 22, 2019 11:05 pm  #1

Story II

After my radio days, I took up being a salesman for companies in the grocery business.  Back in the late 1970's, I was a territory rep for a company called "Nalley Foods", and I called on grocery stores in the southwest corner of Oregon (Eugene to the coast and south).  In the course of my travels, I heard on the radio that one of the pop stars of my high school days would be appearing in a tavern in Coos Bay.  Since I usually had an overnight stay in the town as part of my schedule, I adjusted my travels so I could take in the show.  I had a prime seat when Buddy Knox took the stage and went through his collection of hit recordings.  After the show, he was busy gathering up his guitar and such so I approached him to say hello.  He didn't even look up but kept busy with his task.  Then I said the magic words "Buddy, when I was a DJ down in San Angelo, somebody told me that the drums in 'Party Doll' was actually a cardboard box filled with cotton".  As soon as I mentioned DJ and San Angelo, I was an instant West Texas homeboy and he shook my hand and we talked for about 10 minutes.  He was ultra friendly and answered a few other questions I had.  "Party Doll" had been big favorite on Guam and we had played it for a year at our teen dances.  Thanks Buddy for making that memory a highlight!!

March 23, 2019 7:11 am  #2

Re: Story II

I love both stories.  This is why I'm ecstatic that Lorne continued this board so I can keep meeting up with my oldies friends.

March 23, 2019 3:12 pm  #3

Re: Story II

I agree with you.  Always enjoy Jim's stories.  Speaking of our oldies friends, does anyone have any information as to how Ronnie is doing?

Board footera