The Oldies Music Board

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 6, 2021 6:42 pm  #1

How Canada accidentally broke up The Beatles

I think this story is way over the top, but it's still an interesting read. (But I admit I'm glad I missed Yoko's "performance"...)

July 6, 2021 7:06 pm  #2

Re: How Canada accidentally broke up The Beatles

aflem wrote:

I think this story is way over the top, but it's still an interesting read. (But I admit I'm glad I missed Yoko's "performance"...)

Like way, way over the top. Not sure how a show where "witnesses remembered booing, obscenities and even the occasional projectile directed at Ono" would cause John to abandon The Beatles.  If Canada is to receive any credit for The Beatles' demise, it may have happened before the Varsity Arena show at John & Yoko's 1969 Montreal bed-in, where they recorded "Give Peace A Chance". It was Lennon's first big solo single and maybe gave him some motivation to leave the fold.

July 8, 2021 2:11 am  #3

Roman wrote:

aflem wrote:

Like way, way over the top. Not sure how a show where "witnesses remembered booing, obscenities and even the occasional projectile directed at Ono" would cause John to abandon The Beatles.  If Canada is to receive any credit for The Beatles' demise, it may have happened before the Varsity Arena show at John & Yoko's 1969 Montreal bed-in, where they recorded "Give Peace A Chance". It was Lennon's first big solo single and maybe gave him some motivation to leave the fold.

hmm,,, i've always undrstood that macca was first to leave the fold, at least officially. while groups with two bassists aren't unheard of, it might have seemed a bit too novel an idea for an act like the band. but you can't blame paul for wanting to make sure it was known that he was available if they were interested. clapton struck out too, as i recall..

Last edited by gopher (July 8, 2021 2:19 am)

July 8, 2021 7:49 am  #4

I don't remember if it was Paul or George's book that said Yoko was telling John he was better than the others and needed to separate himself from them as they were  holding him back. I think John was oblivious to others' opinions or reactions to Yoko. If you watch the Stone's Rock 'n Roll Circus during John & Yoko's set she was getting weird looks from other members playing then.

July 8, 2021 8:43 am  #5

Seems to me that one thing after another was taking them in the direction of breaking up ... it was probably inevitable no matter what. 

Board footera