The Oldies Music Board

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 4, 2021 9:49 pm  #1

Free Online Doc "The Beatles Explosion" Tells Familiar But Fun Story

I found this on Tubitv.com, a site owned by Fox, and offered free online to anyone who wants to watch its programming. It contains endless clips of the very young Fab Four as they rose to heights no one expected in the early to mid-1960s. There are a ton of clips, interviews, press conferences and TV appearances, some of which you've seen before and some that have been ignored for years or long forgotten. 

But like many Beatle documentaries, in order not to have to pay expensive royalties, they left out one thing - their music! Still a fun trip down memory lane - or should that be Penny Lane?

It does not appear that you need a U.S. VPN to watch it. 

The Beatles Explosion

July 10, 2021 6:08 pm  #2

Re: Free Online Doc "The Beatles Explosion" Tells Familiar But Fun Story

It opened for me. Thanks. Early into it there's a scene with a girl crying and telling the interviewer that the police said if "we" stayed calm they would lets "us" go down to see them. That was in Memphis Aug. 19, '66. I was there and can say it was very silly on behalf of the police. My girlfriend and I were among about 15 teenagers who were able to get on to the military side of the MEM airport. I got thru the guarded entrance because I was in the C.A.P. The military guys had their families there and walked right up to the airplane, a chartered American Airlines Electra. We were held back by the police and not allowed to go to the plane. They got into a city bus which took them to the Coliseum. This is in contrast to a story I read, in Ticket To Ride I believe, saying they were taken to the coliseum in an armored car because they were afraid. Youtube Beatles Arrive Memphis. I'm the short haired kid in glasses.  

July 14, 2021 3:57 pm  #3

memphis boy wrote:

It opened for me. Thanks. Early into it there's a scene with a girl crying and telling the interviewer that the police said if "we" stayed calm they would lets "us" go down to see them. That was in Memphis Aug. 19, '66. I was there and can say it was very silly on behalf of the police. My girlfriend and I were among about 15 teenagers who were able to get on to the military side of the MEM airport. I got thru the guarded entrance because I was in the C.A.P. The military guys had their families there and walked right up to the airplane, a chartered American Airlines Electra. We were held back by the police and not allowed to go to the plane. They got into a city bus which took them to the Coliseum. This is in contrast to a story I read, in Ticket To Ride I believe, saying they were taken to the coliseum in an armored car because they were afraid. Youtube Beatles Arrive Memphis. I'm the short haired kid in glasses.  

Were you the guy behind the other guy who was upset, saying he had every Beatle record and was upset they wouldn't let him see them?  If yes, you were smiling pretty hard.  It looks like you were enjoying the heck out of that. I love this!

July 14, 2021 4:31 pm  #4

I don't see that part in Beatles Arriving Memphis. In the beginning I'm standing with my girlfriend with the small group of kids.

Board footera