The Oldies Music Board

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 18, 2021 9:28 am  #1

Songs You Once Hated But Now Love

I'm not sure if anyone else has ever experienced this, but when I was a kid, there were certain songs on the radio that had me instantly reaching for the dial to change to another station. The one I recall best was in 1969, whenever Desmond Dekker & The Aces' "Israelites" came on.

The tune went to #1 locally and it completely baffled me. I hated the melody, couldn't understand the lyrics, and the overall way it was produced made me cringe. I literally could not get it off the radio fast enough, but since it was #1, it played endlessly during its time on the charts. 

Flash forward a few decades. The song came on an oldies station one day and for some reason, I didn't turn it off. I suddenly realized that not only did I not hate the thing, I actually liked it - a lot. In fact, it's since become one of my absolutely favorite all time classics. (Although I still don't understand the lyrics!)

I have no idea how to account for this, other than I likely never gave it a fair chance originally and tastes change. Has anyone else ever done a complete 180 on a song they either loved or loathed - and now feel the exact opposite way about? 

July 18, 2021 9:30 am  #2

Re: Songs You Once Hated But Now Love

By the way, Israelites was once the subject of wonderful Memorex commercial that I've never forgotten. And, of course, it's since turned up on YouTube.  What a great ad!

July 21, 2021 4:53 am  #3

There was a time when I cringed at anything by Bob Dylan. I didn't mind some of the lyrics, but his voice was like the proverbial scratches on a chalkboard.  But in early 1966 Dylan came to Ottawa where I was stationed. He appeared with The "Hawks"/"Crackers"/"Band" that I'd seen many times backing Ronnie Hawkins, and I wanted to hear what they sounded like after hooking up with Dylan. The concert gave me a different perspective of Dylan-the-artist, and I thought his new electric sound was great. He's still not my favorite artist, but I no longer change stations,

Last edited by Cloud9 (July 21, 2021 4:55 am)

July 21, 2021 9:44 pm  #4

There were a few. "Rambling Rose" by Nat King Cole is one I can think of at the moment. 

August 8, 2021 2:14 pm  #5

I just heard another one I'd long forgotten about. When "Black Pearl" by Sonny Charles & The Checkmates first came out, for some reason I hated it. I couldn't change the radio station fast enough when it came on. It was a huge hit and I spent a lot of time trying to avoid it.

A few years ago, I gave it another listen and wondered what that kid I'd once been had been thinking. The song is absolutely amazing, from performance to production, and I can see why it did so well. It's one of my all-time favorites now and I'm just sorry it took me so long to figure that out!

Board footera