The Oldies Music Board

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 17, 2021 10:32 am  #1

The most heard bassist of all time, Carol Kaye ...

July 18, 2021 9:33 am  #2

Re: The most heard bassist of all time, Carol Kaye ...

Wow . One of the songs chosen was a huge surprise. I wish she listed 100. I wish there was a list of every national top 40 record she played on. 

July 18, 2021 10:42 am  #3

The one that really surprised me was When I Die by Motherlode. They were a short-lived Canadian band and I wouldn't have expected that they would have had someone like her playing on any of their recordings. I just did a search and found that she has a website where she has a lot of the songs that she played on listed, and for that one she shows "(Toronto)" beside it ... I gather that she was indeed brought up here to play on it.
https://www.carolkaye.com/www/library/basshits.htm

July 19, 2021 6:34 am  #4

Lorne wrote:

The one that really surprised me was When I Die by Motherlode. They were a short-lived Canadian band and I wouldn't have expected that they would have had someone like her playing on any of their recordings. I just did a search and found that she has a website where she has a lot of the songs that she played on listed, and for that one she shows "(Toronto)" beside it ... I gather that she was indeed brought up here to play on it.

Boy, did I love that song!  Eighth grade.

July 19, 2021 6:46 am  #5

if he were still alive, james jamerson might beg to differ as far as the header goes. but who's countin'?

Last edited by gopher (July 19, 2021 6:50 am)

July 19, 2021 7:25 am  #6

I certainly have no idea as to whether that's actually the case ... if I was writing the headline myself, I might have qualified it with a word like "possibly". However, I generally like to use the headlines of articles as subject lines to the extent that I can (I sometimes have to modify them given Boardhost's limitation of 70 characters, which is why I split the headline between the subject and body of the message in this case). I feel that this is usually the best way of letting people know what the article is about, and whether or not it might be of interest to them. 

July 20, 2021 7:34 am  #7

Lorne wrote:

I certainly have no idea as to whether that's actually the case ... if I was writing the headline myself, I might have qualified it with a word like "possibly". However, I generally like to use the headlines of articles as subject lines to the extent that I can (I sometimes have to modify them given Boardhost's limitation of 70 characters, which is why I split the headline between the subject and body of the message in this case). I feel that this is usually the best way of letting people know what the article is about, and whether or not it might be of interest to them. 

no biggie, lorne. i was just trying to point out that jamerson likely played on as many or more motown tracks as kaye did with the crew, that's all.

Last edited by gopher (July 20, 2021 7:38 am)

July 20, 2021 8:04 am  #8

Lorne wrote:

And although that link shows the hits that she played on, the actual number of songs on which she appeared must be mind boggling. For example, I checked out the Motherlode album and she played bass and guitar on all but one track.

July 20, 2021 9:37 am  #9

Good point. The situation also makes me wonder about how many other recordings she played on that did not involve any other members of the Wrecking Crew. It's interesting that at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carol_Kaye#Soundtracks,_tutoring_and_later_work it states that "By 1969, Kaye was exhausted and had become disillusioned from doing session work, saying that the music had 'started to sound like cardboard'." When I Die was recorded in 1969, so even though it was still session work I wonder if it was an early indication of her wanting to move on to other types of work. In addition, back then it was not uncommon for Canadian artists to record in the US if they wanted to have access to top session players (as well as producers) ... that's another reason why I find it intriguing that she came here (and from Los Angeles, no less) to record with them instead.

Board footera