The Oldies Music Board

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 23, 2021 7:34 am  #1

You Know You're Too Obsessed With Oldies When...

Someone tells you they're watching the Olympics and you think that means they're looking at this on YouTube:

July 23, 2021 8:41 am  #2

Re: You Know You're Too Obsessed With Oldies When...

I've found that it doesn't take much for something to bring an oldie to mind for me. One example has been when Lake Charles has been mentioned in the news. This has immediately brought The Band's reference to Lake Charles in Up On Cripple Creek to mind (partly because it's also an oldies station staple here, since it counts towards the 30$ Canadian content that they have to play). I've actually thought about starting a thread here about this ... I can't bring any more to mind at the moment, but hopefully some others will. 

July 23, 2021 9:23 am  #3

I was at a bus station at Lake Charles once. The Band song was in my head the entire time.

July 23, 2021 9:47 am  #4

That's really something. I wasn't sure how much this was influenced by how much I've heard the song over the years. But now that I think of it, I've also had things remind me of songs I haven't heard in a long time ... it doesn't take much. 

July 24, 2021 7:20 am  #5

Three summers ago, Michael McDonald was headlining a Rib Off in Toledo.  Of course, every time I heard the commercial, I'd hear "What A Fool Believes".  I loved this song, but since that commercial, it has infiltrated my mind.  Many, many, many times a day that song is serenading me and worst of all, I actually start singing parts of the song out loud.  When I walk to a beat, the song is there. When I wake up during the night, 90% of the time, that song is going through my mind.  It's maddening.

I know this differs in what you all are posting, but I had to say something about this.  Perhaps it will cure me. 

July 24, 2021 8:17 am  #6

I can't bring another example of this to mind, but I've had situations where I've found that I keep thinking of a song -- but I'm not sure why. Then I realize that it's something like the Lake Charles situation, in that something I'm hearing or seeing that is bringing a song to mind. But this shows that the trigger can be something rather subtle, or at least not all that obvious. I've sometimes actually been surprised when I've realized what the trigger was.

July 25, 2021 7:41 am  #7

When I catch myself answering people with a lyric from a song. 

July 25, 2021 10:56 am  #8

The song is Western MOVIES but the images are from TV SERIES.

The Life and Legend of Wyatt Earp
The Rifleman
Maverick
Cheyenne
Have Gun – Will Travel
Gunsmoke
Bonanza
Sugarfoot
Laramie ???
Bronco

Cochise, Wagon Train and Bat Masterson, mentioned in the song, ain’t in there.

Last edited by Taz (July 25, 2021 11:04 am)

July 26, 2021 2:00 pm  #9

I've been inspired by oldies back in my traveling days.  I stood on the corner of 12th & Vine in Kansas City, I drove by Folsom Prison, I got to Phoenix 2-3 times a year, I was in Amarillo one morning, I spent an afternoon in Abilene, TX, I was way down yonder in New Orleans a few times, been all over Seattle, I have great memories of "..the railroad station in St.Paul" (back in the 1940's they had a huge model train setup in one of the big rooms) and I actually did see the Beach Boys at the Lagoon amusement park (in their "Salt Lake City" track).

July 27, 2021 12:05 pm  #10

Jim Southern wrote:

...  I stood on the corner of 12th & Vine in Kansas City, ....

You mentioned this a couple of years ago.  For benefit of those who may not have seen my comments then, Vine no longer intersects with 12th Street.  On one side of 12th they left the corners and a few feet of street.  The other side is parking spots but there is a street corner sign.  You can see it on Google maps.

July 27, 2021 12:17 pm  #11

Jim Southern wrote:

I've been inspired by oldies back in my traveling days.  I stood on the corner of 12th & Vine in Kansas City, I drove by Folsom Prison, I got to Phoenix 2-3 times a year, I was in Amarillo one morning, I spent an afternoon in Abilene, TX, I was way down yonder in New Orleans a few times, been all over Seattle, I have great memories of "..the railroad station in St.Paul" (back in the 1940's they had a huge model train setup in one of the big rooms) and I actually did see the Beach Boys at the Lagoon amusement park (in their "Salt Lake City" track).

On a local and well researched oldies show that aired here a few weeks ago, the host, Roger Ashby, played the song "Abilene" and noted that most people thought it was about the town in Texas. He insists it was actually written for the same named place in Kansas

So maybe you still have one more place to travel to in order to complete the circuit!

July 27, 2021 1:54 pm  #12

aflem wrote:

On a local and well researched oldies show that aired here a few weeks ago, the host, Roger Ashby, played the song "Abilene" and noted that most people thought it was about the town in Texas. He insists it was actually written for the same named place in Kansas.

Well – YEAH!  But I didn’t wanna burst his bubble,

July 27, 2021 5:58 pm  #13

Abilene TX is named after Abilene KS, so at least there is a connection ... kind of like The Olympics group presumably getting their name from The Olympic Games, actually. And although my example of Lake Charles is the same place as the one mentioned in Up On Cripple Creek, I've certainly had a place remind me of one mentioned in a song even though I've known that they were two different places. 
And this reminds me of a rather interesting situation that I encountered when I was working for the Toronto Transit Commission and started dealing with some large US systems -- including Boston and New York. Because New York's transit system is the Metropolitan Transportation Authority or MTA, it brought to mind the song of that name that was a hit for the Kingston Trio. But I knew that this song actually referred to Boston's Metropolitan Transit Authority, which by this time had been renamed the Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority or MBTA. I was very pleased, however, when they introduced a new smart card which they called the CharlieCard, based on the character in the song who needed another nickel to pay his fare. 

July 29, 2021 7:59 pm  #14

Just to add some clarification, when The Challengers changed their name to The Olympics, they named themselves after the Olympic Auditorium in downtown Los Angeles because they thought that would be a good thing for a Los Angeles singing group to name themselves after.  However, the Olympic Auditorium in downtown Los Angeles was built with the help of the Los Angeles Olympic committee for the 1932 Olympic Games in Los Angeles.

I am surprised that none of us had mentioned that they had been standing on a corner in Winslow, Arizona.

July 30, 2021 4:27 am  #15

Jim Elder wrote:

I am surprised that none of us had mentioned that they had been standing on a corner in Winslow, Arizona.

… or been to a pawnshop on a corner in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

July 30, 2021 2:17 pm  #16

Taz wrote:

Jim Elder wrote:

… or been to a pawnshop on a corner in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

Yeah, but you can listen to Willy & The Poor Boys all day for just nickels when you're down on the corner.

July 30, 2021 7:15 pm  #17

Jim Southern wrote:

... I was in Amarillo one morning, ...

Did you stop for directions?

Last edited by Taz (July 30, 2021 7:16 pm)

August 1, 2021 8:33 am  #18

Taz wrote:

Jim Southern wrote:

... I was in Amarillo one morning, ...

Did you stop for directions?

Is This The Way To Amarillo

August 1, 2021 8:55 am  #19

Fine. But Do You Know The Way To San Jose?

August 1, 2021 9:03 am  #20

Yes, the Amarillo references made me think of the Neil Sedaka song, and then that brought to mind Dionne Warwick's song as well. 

Board footera