The Oldies Music Board

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 11, 2021 9:24 am  #1

You Won't Believe Who's Listening To Oldies - & Where

According to this story in The Toronto Star, young kids are increasingly being exposed to some great hits on TikTok, even if it's only a snippet of a hook or a lyric. They then go seek out the real thing and not only do they often know all the words, their sheer numbers are sometimes enough to push a classic tune back onto the charts - such as the recent example of Fleetwood Mac's "Dreams."

Want to teach the kids your favourite classic tunes? TikTok has already done that

August 11, 2021 9:58 am  #2

Re: You Won't Believe Who's Listening To Oldies - & Where

Thanks, aflem. I hadn't seen the Star article yet, but I'd been reading about the renewed popularity of songs like Dreams and Beggin' elsewhere and had been thinking that I should post something here about this. It's nice to see how much interest there is in older music. 

August 12, 2021 7:46 am  #3

When I hear a song on a TV commercial that I want to jog my memory about, I'll watch it on YouTube. I find that many people, a lot young and curious from the commercial,  googled the song to listen to its entirety.   Almost always, the comments are positive about the song. 

My 30 year old son loves to listen to oldies.

August 12, 2021 8:12 am  #4

I'm sometimes surprised by the older songs that tv commercials use that I either don't know, or I'm not sure about ... I use Shazam to identify them. Here are some examples that are in my Shazam library from the last few months:
Iron Box - Tony Gee
Love Is All We Need - Mel Carter
It Will Stand - The Showmen
What A Man - Linda Lyndell
Get Down With It - Little Richard
The Candy Man - Aubrey Woods
I See It, I Like It, I Want It - Shirley Ellis

August 12, 2021 11:44 am  #5

I'm not sure if it's running in all cities, but Peloton, the expensive exercise equipment company, is currently running commercials on radio using a form of the song "Sunny" by Bobby Hebb. 

Board footera