The Oldies Music Board

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 18, 2021 9:06 am  #1

How Don McLean's American Pie Almost Sounded Different

In this story about how the iconic "American Pie" came to be, its producer reveals how it could have sounded very different because of Don McLean's lack of experience and discomfort in a recording studio. 

"Initially McLean wanted to record American Pie with just acoustic guitar, but [producer Ed] Freeman “leaned on him” to use a rhythm section. “To me, that’s the most crucial thing I did for that whole record,” Freeman says.

“Don had not really had any experience playing with other people, and he was very leery about it. So instead of getting in a bunch of seasoned studio musicians who could knock it out in five minutes, I deliberately got musicians who were good, but weren’t slick, burned-out superstar players. They’d be able to approach Don on the same level.” 

He also talks about the difficulty of physically fitting an eight-minute song onto a 45 in those days and how they solved it - although, admittedly, not very well. 

This article is about more than just the same tired old story about how McLean wrote the song and what it means, which is what makes it far more interesting. 

The story behind American Pie by Don McLean

By the way, McLean was in the news earlier this week for another matter - receiving a star on The Hollywood Walk of Fame.

August 18, 2021 10:51 am  #2

Re: How Don McLean's American Pie Almost Sounded Different

That is a much more interesting take on the record for me. Based on the other songs I know by McLean, which have a more laid-back, gentler style, I've wondered how he came up with a record that rocked as much as American Pie did. I figured that it was partly because of the subject matter, but I've still found it rather surprising that he managed to achieve that kind of sound with it. So I like the way that this article explains how that all happened.

August 18, 2021 9:16 pm  #3

That is a great article. In addition to a great story, I really enjoyed the two videos that were featured in. It was very interesting to see Don singing the song live in 1971 and 28 years later in 1999. Thanks for posting this aflem.

Last edited by alangee (August 18, 2021 9:22 pm)

April 20, 2022 9:30 am  #4

Well, I really have no idea what to make of this, but it's out of Britain.

Boxer teams up with Don McLean for new version of American Pie (with video)

Board footera