The Oldies Music Board

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 20, 2021 8:04 am  #1

Is it the "Poor Folks" of the Canadian group Joshua originally?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3VRoSnR7vM
This Czech recording is said to be the Czech version of the song "Poor Folks" by the Canadian group Joshua.
I haven't found the Joshua recording on the internet. 
Do you have the original by Joshua group available? Can you confirm this by listening to it? 
Thank you for your kind help. 

August 20, 2021 9:42 am  #2

Re: Is it the "Poor Folks" of the Canadian group Joshua originally?

Joshua got some airplay here in Toronto with another record, Bow Down (To The Dollar). Going by what I found when I did a search, I think that Poor Folks was their next single, but I don't know it. However, I found them mentioned in a Facebook post at https://www.facebook.com/115950068436081/posts/how-about-the-second-to-none-cmon-angelo-frankwe-need-some-photos-and-tall-tales/144849485561491/. If you're on Facebook, you might want to see about joining the group and then posting a new message asking about this ... there's probably more of a chance of someone knowing this song there than anywhere else.  

August 21, 2021 4:57 am  #3

mroldies wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3VRoSnR7vM
This Czech recording is said to be the Czech version of the song "Poor Folks" by the Canadian group Joshua.
I haven't found the Joshua recording on the internet. 
Do you have the original by Joshua group available? Can you confirm this by listening to it? 
Thank you for your kind help. 

if i could do the tube, i'd know, but any chance it's bill anderson's "po' folks"? don't ask me why, but as i understand it there's been a somewhat keen czech interest in american country music since at least the '60's, though until relatively recently they had a hard time getting to it.

August 21, 2021 9:03 am  #4

Goph, I checked out the Bill Anderson song and compared it to Toulky (the song mroldies is asking about), and they're different songs -- but your suggestion did help me to solve this mystery. I checked out the Toulky video again and ironically, I noticed that the English title is shown there as being Po' Folks. It then occurred to me that it might help if I were to find out who wrote the song that Joshua did, and so I found an image of their Poor Folks single which shows the writer as Dick Monda. When I searched on that name I found out that he became more famous under the pseudonym of Daddy Dewdrop, and more importantly I found that the song was originally done in 1969 by the Righteous Brothers (who at that point were actually Bobby Hatfield and Jimmy Walker, Bill Medley having gone solo by then). I then found that their version and a subsequent version by Frankie Laine are available at https://secondhandsongs.com/work/174492 -- and this is the same song as Toulky, which is also included on that site. So although Joshua's Poor Folks isn't listed there, it would definitely be the same song as well.

August 21, 2021 9:26 am  #5

Lorne,
Thank you very, very much.
I don't know what other words I should thank.
I also wrote to Dick Monda directly on the matter, but I have not yet received an answer. 

August 21, 2021 10:56 am  #6

mroldies wrote:

Lorne,
I also wrote to Dick Monda directly on the matter, but I have not yet received an answer. 

the daddy dewdrop recordings, few that i've heard, were great. i wonder if he recorded the song himself, as daddy or monda?

Last edited by gopher (August 21, 2021 11:03 am)

August 21, 2021 12:47 pm  #7

mroldies wrote:

Lorne,

You're welcome, and I'm glad that I could finally help with one of your song queries. I like solving mysteries like this, but I've felt over the years that your knowledge and search skills must be so good that the songs you ask about are generally not easy to find. But with this one involving a group that I did know something about, I was more hopeful that I might be able to help solve it.

August 21, 2021 1:01 pm  #8

gopher wrote:

the daddy dewdrop recordings, few that i've heard, were great. i wonder if he recorded the song himself, as daddy or monda?

Yes, I wondered about that as well. I couldn't find any indication that he did, but there are images of his albums available at http://www.daddydewdrop.com/discography where the listings wouldn't come up in a search. I just tried clicking on each one to see if Po' Folks might be among any of the track listings, but I found that some of the images aren't very legible and/or the print is too small for me to be able to really read them.

August 22, 2021 8:24 am  #9

Lorne,
I try not to bother with identifications here that I can handle on my own. And it is also clear to me that there are probably no experts on European continental rock and pop here. I am thinking mainly of Germany, France, Italy and the Netherlands. In such cases, I have to try my question elsewhere.

August 22, 2021 11:17 am  #10

mroldies wrote:

Lorne,
I try not to bother with identifications here that I can handle on my own. And it is also clear to me that there are probably no experts on European continental rock and pop here. I am thinking mainly of Germany, France, Italy and the Netherlands. In such cases, I have to try my question elsewhere.

Yes, I think your questions here tend to relate to European songs that are definitely or possibly based on North American songs. I find it interesting when this was done with songs that are pretty obscure here. Not only did the Joshua version not become a hit even in Canada, but the Righteous Brothers version didn't chart at all either -- and I don't think that the Laine version was released as a single. So if that duo had a hit with it there, that's probably the best that the song did anywhere. 

Board footera