The Oldies Music Board

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 22, 2021 4:35 am  #1

R. I. P. Don Everly

Another link in the great rock and roll chain gone, Farewell to an absolute legend.

August 22, 2021 8:52 am  #2

Re: R. I. P. Don Everly

Scotty wrote:

Another link in the great rock and roll chain gone, Farewell to an absolute legend.

I received an email from your fellow New Zealander Bruce, saying he would have posted an item about this but was unable to log in. Hopefully I'll be able to get him back on board soon, but in the meantime I'll post what he sent me. 
https://www.noise11.com/news/rock-legend-don-everly-19-january-1939-to-21-august-2021-20210822

August 24, 2021 12:34 pm  #3

The Everly Brothers made a yearly trek to Salt Lake City for many years and in 1966 and '67 I was able to visit them backstage.  In fact, they autographed their "Hit Sound Of The Everly Brothers" LP and I have that framed and hanging in my living room.  I liked about everything they recorded, but would put "Gone, Gone, Gone" and "Be Bop A Lula" at the top of the list.  I also favor "Bowling Green", their last Top 40 hit.  Their harmonizing was every bit as good on stage as it was in the studio.  Thank you, Don & Phil, for great music and great memories!

August 24, 2021 1:18 pm  #4

Worth noting that Paul McCartney paid a musical tribute to the Everlys, by specifically mentioning "Phil & Don" in the lyrics to the Wings' hit "Let 'Em In."

Board footera