The Oldies Music Board

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 31, 2021 8:12 pm  #1

Impressive Inductees Front First Illinois Rock Hall Of Fame

Think of music cities and you probably come up with Liverpool or Detroit, maybe Nashville or San Francisco. It's not likely you'd think of Chicago or Illinois right off the top of your head. But that state has officially inducted its first list of greats into a local Rock Hall of Fame and some of the names are pretty extraordinary.

Check this line-up of honourees:

Muddy Waters,
The Buckinghams,
The Ides of March,
Buddy Guy,
Cheap Trick and
REO Speedwagon.

Not to mention, of course, Chicago. 

There were also two legendary radio rock jocks in the mix - Larry Lujack and Dick Biondi. 

With that kind of line-up, I'm not sure who'll be left for next year's ceremony! But I'll be curious to see who they pick then.

Illinois Rock Hall of Fame inducts 1st class including REO Speedwagon, Cheap Trick, Chicago

August 31, 2021 10:09 pm  #2

Re: Impressive Inductees Front First Illinois Rock Hall Of Fame

I'm sorry that Ron Smith, who ran the Oldies Music Bulletin Board that was the predecessor to this one, didn't live to see this, as he lived in the Chicago area and worked in Chicago radio for many years. And I think that partly because of what he had to say about Chicago-area artists on the former board, it didn't surprise me that they were able to come up with an impressive list of inductees ... I've become aware of many other possibilities over the years as well. So this is great to see.  

September 1, 2021 9:21 am  #3

First artist I thought of was the Impressions Then Jerry Butler. 

September 1, 2021 6:09 pm  #4

Lorne wrote:

I'm sorry that Ron Smith, who ran the Oldies Music Bulletin Board that was the predecessor to this one, didn't live to see this, as he lived in the Chicago area and worked in Chicago radio for many years. And I think that partly because of what he had to say about Chicago-area artists on the former board, it didn't surprise me that they were able to come up with an impressive list of inductees ... I've become aware of many other possibilities over the yearsas well. So this is great to see.  

I miss Ron.  One thing that I think about from time to time was when he informed us that there was really was no east side of Chicago, as the lyrics in "The Night Chicago Died" implied. 

September 2, 2021 9:19 am  #5

Yes, I've thought of Ron's comment ever since any time that I've heard that song or even just seen a reference to it. It's not exactly the most accurate song ever written in other respects as well. 
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Night_Chicago_Died#Accuracy

September 2, 2021 12:25 pm  #6

Mark H. wrote:

First artist I thought of was the Impressions Then Jerry Butler. 

first other i thought of were leonard and phil chess.

September 2, 2021 12:42 pm  #7

gopher wrote:

first other i thought of were leonard and phil chess. 

I thought of them and the artists on their labels right away as well. The article just focuses on the artists who were inducted, but at https://www.roadtorock.org/class-of-2020 it shows that Chess Records was inducted as well. And I agree with Mark about both the Impressions and Jerry Butler being worthy of induction as well.

Board footera