The Oldies Music Board

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 1, 2021 10:40 pm  #1

A reflection on the former Oldies Music Bulletin Board and 9/11

Every year at this time, I think of something involving Ron Smith and the former Oldies Music Bulletin Board, and I thought I'd finally share it this year.
It was twenty years ago when Ron emailed me to tell me that he'd be going away on a trip, and he wasn't sure how much internet access he'd have while he was away to allow him to check in on the board. Back then, the board didn't require registration, and unfortunately there were some troublemakers who used to take advantage of that to post inappropriate messages.
So Ron asked me if I'd be willing to keep an eye on things on his behalf while he was away, and remove anything that was problematic. I told him that I'd be honoured to look after the board for him, and so he gave me the necessary access to do this. Ron also said that he'd try to post an occasional message so that no one would realize that he was away, because he didn't want anyone to be complaining to me about any messages that were deleted.
But then, a couple of days after he left, the attacks of 9/11 occurred. I was working for the Toronto Transit Commission's Marketing and Public Affairs Department at the time, and because our media relations people were part of this department there was a tv on the same floor as my office. But while most of my colleagues were watching what was happening on that tv, I put on my radio instead and monitored what was happening on the board on my computer. It's hard to adequately describe how I felt as a Canadian under these circumstances, to find myself looking after a US-based board when America had come under such a terrible attack. But not surprisingly, there was nothing problematic being posted there ... the main reason I kept wanting to watch what was happening on the board was first, to see that our regulars from New York were checking in and were ok, and second, because it was a place for all of us to come together and share with each other the grief that we were experiencing.
And eventually, a day or two later, I heard from Ron. I think he may have been in California, but wherever he was, I remember that he had flown there. And so he told me that the fact that he'd just been on a plane, had made what had happened even more troubling to him. He subsequently posted to the board as well, but he made no mention of his circumstances for the reasons I mentioned above. However, I'm sure that he saw how much that people came together and consoled one another there, and I would hope that he found some comfort in seeing that ... I certainly did.

September 2, 2021 3:22 pm  #2

Re: A reflection on the former Oldies Music Bulletin Board and 9/11

Thanks for sharing that, Lorne.  You should be proud that Ron trusted you to cover for him.  It was only natural that you take over this board.  Thanks for doing that.  And yes, I miss Ron very much.

September 2, 2021 4:36 pm  #3

Thank you, Karen. The fact that I had done this certainly crossed my mind when Flo suggested that it would be good if I could set up a new board. And even though Ron never posted here, he did register and so at least he saw that a part of what he had created on the old site was continuing. But full credit is also due to all the contributors like yourself who helped keep things going here as well.
It also just occurred to me that we might be coming up for a significant anniversary relating to when the board started, and we are ... according to what's at the bottom of the page that's been archived at https://tinyurl.com/dfd8y68, the 25th anniversary will be on Nov. 2.  

September 2, 2021 5:31 pm  #4

Thanks Lorne

September 2, 2021 5:46 pm  #5

Lorne wrote:

Thank you, Karen. The fact that I had done this certainly crossed my mind when Flo suggested that it would be good if I could set up a new board. And even though Ron never posted here, he did register and so at least he saw that a part of what he had created on the old site was continuing. But full credit is also due to all the contributors like yourself who helped keep things going here as well.
It also just occurred to me that we might be coming up for a significant anniversary relating to when the board started, and we are ... according to what's at the bottom of the page that's been archived at https://tinyurl.com/dfd8y68, the 25th anniversary will be on Nov. 2.  

That was a few years before my time.  I believe I started posting in early 2000.   Message boards were new to me then.  Heck, the computer was new to me then!

September 2, 2021 6:43 pm  #6

I didn't get on the internet myself until 1998, which was also when I first started visiting the board. But it's kind of ironic that back then I felt that the level of expertise that I saw from the regulars was so much greater than mine, that I didn't post for months and wasn't sure how much I ever would. My confidence level has obviously increased a bit since then. 

September 3, 2021 8:20 am  #7

Lorne wrote:

I didn't get on the internet myself until 1998, which was also when I first started visiting the board. But it's kind of ironic that back then I felt that the level of expertise that I saw from the regulars was so much greater than mine, that I didn't post for months and wasn't sure how much I ever would. My confidence level has obviously increased a bit since then. 

I remember the same.  Actually, I still have these feelings.  I've always been good for a memory of a song in my life or what my favorite song by an artist is.

September 3, 2021 9:16 am  #8

It's me Karen wrote:

I remember the same.  Actually, I still have these feelings.  I've always been good for a memory of a song in my life or what my favorite song by an artist is.

You're also good at remembering what's happened on the board in the past, and definitely better than I am. As best as I can recall now from what the board was like back when I started coming, I found that a lot of what was being discussed was basically beyond my knowledge of oldies -- for instance, songs or artists that I didn't know or didn't know well, or things that I didn't know about songs or artists that I was familiar with. But then as more information about artists and songs was posted on the internet over the years, I started finding that this made it easier for me to answer questions or get involved in discussions. Sometimes I might feel that I know the answer to something but I still search for the info anyway to make sure that I'm right, or to get some additional info that I need to provide a proper answer.
One thing I haven't mentioned with regards to that mroldies song that I figured out, is that I was aware in the 1970s that many Canadian artists were covering songs from elsewhere, hoping that our Canadian content regulations would help them get airplay for these songs and maybe have a hit here. So that was what got me thinking that I should find an image of the Joshua 45 so I could find out who wrote the song, and sure enough that was the key to solving the mystery. So even though I didn't know anything about the song at all, there was something that I did know that really helped.

Last edited by Lorne (September 4, 2021 8:42 am)

September 4, 2021 4:10 am  #9

I  would have begun on internet around 2000 as well.  First person I ever had an e  mail from was That Boy John who was a member here. Not long after met  Dennis1947  and his lovely wife  who were    out here on  business.   Was amazed one day to get a phone call  from Gator Rouge, who I think old  timers would remember wasn't the most sociable type.  He had a wonderful intellect  did the Gator,  bless his soul.   Have made many friends such as John,  Linda ,    Wayne and quite a few others.   Don't get here as much as in years gone bye  but still seems to  be  a great collection of very knowlegeable  people.

Last edited by Scotty (September 4, 2021 4:15 am)

September 4, 2021 10:24 pm  #10

There were a few New Zealanders on the old board but I think Scotty and I are the only survivors. I used to log into a linked chat room which included Tom and Katie and used to exchange emails with Neil Packman. He has disappeared and does not respond to emails (well I haven't tried for some years). There used to be some very long threads (Roy Dusky, Linda Scott, cardigan left on a grave stone) and Ron's preferred music genres were soft rock, pop and a little bit country! Back in those days we had frequent visits by 60s artists, mainly from the UK  to New Zealand but age diminishes those ranks. I am very pleased I managed to see Roy Orbison and David Bowie before they died and the Rolling Stones with Charlie keeping the beat

September 4, 2021 11:20 pm  #11

I appreciate the memories that others are sharing here. I miss many of the regulars who have been mentioned, along with others who used to post as well. However, I'm glad that we still had enough regulars join this board to keep it viable, and that we've also had some new people join and contribute as well. 

September 5, 2021 6:13 am  #12

Lorne wrote:

...                        Back then, the board didn't require registration, ...

Yeah, that turned out to be a problem for me.  My first post, I looked around and it seemed most people were using their first name for their user name so I used mine, “Ron”.  When I found that user name was already in use, and by the moderator of all people, I started using Taz.

I don’t know when I first came here.  I was trying to identify a song I thought the name of was “Sea Shell Sherry”, but I wasn’t sure how Sherry was spelled and I didn’t know the artist,  I posted some of the lyrics, which turned out to be only the choruses.  I stumped the board the first couple of times but eventually found out it was by Jerry Keller about the time the CD came out.

I had also asked on another board I think was The Wanderer but didn’t get an answer there either.  I liked Ron’s board better than that board so I used to pop in and out once in a while but wasn’t a regular. 

I found some old Mark the Shark top 800 countdown files with a Aug 2003 date and I’d been coming to the board for quite a while by then.  I tried to remember to pop in every couple of weeks to get the 800 countdown and the every hit A to Z but I failed as I have a lot of gaps.

I found a file I titled obscur500 Sept 2004 which Mark did dedicated to the Labor Day 500 countdown.  The first song is Soul Coaxing (Ame Câline), then again by Little Peggy March with words.

September 5, 2021 8:57 am  #13

Taz wrote:

Lorne wrote:

...                        Back then, the board didn't require registration, ...

Yeah, that turned out to be a problem for me.  My first post, I looked around and it seemed most people were using their first name for their user name so I used mine, “Ron”.  When I found that user name was already in use, and by the moderator of all people, I started using Taz.

I don’t know when I first came here.  I was trying to identify a song I thought the name of was “Sea Shell Sherry”, but I wasn’t sure how Sherry was spelled and I didn’t know the artist,  I posted some of the lyrics, which turned out to be only the choruses.  I stumped the board the first couple of times but eventually found out it was by Jerry Keller about the time the CD came out.

Same here, me starting with a name.  I also used my first name.  I posted for some time until another Karen posted.  Uh oh.  It's funny, but you are owners of your words and don't want others to be confused or wonder why you said such a thing or why does she come off so differently?   So I changed my name to It's me Karen, as in, hey guys, it's me!  Karen!  I eventually dropped the apostrophe because many times when I was typing, my pinkie finger would accidentally reach too far and hit enter.  Then I'd have an unfinished post sent.

As for "Sea Shell Sherry", I absolutely remember that.  I also tried to research, to no success.

September 5, 2021 9:37 am  #14

"you can't put it back"
--billy edd wheeler

September 5, 2021 9:56 am  #15

It's me Karen wrote:

Taz wrote:

Lorne wrote:

Same here, me starting with a name.  I also used my first name.  I posted for some time until another Karen posted.  Uh oh.  It's funny, but you are owners of your words and don't want others to be confused or wonder why you said such a thing or why does she come off so differently?   So I changed my name to It's me Karen, as in, hey guys, it's me!  Karen!  I eventually dropped the apostrophe because many times when I was typing, my pinkie finger would accidentally reach too far and hit enter.  Then I'd have an unfinished post sent.

As for "Sea Shell Sherry", I absolutely remember that.  I also tried to research, to no success.

Those are all interesting memories to me as well. Taz, now that you mention it I think I remember you posting as Ron and realizing that it wasn't Ron Smith, unless I'm thinking of someone else who might have done that. And Karen, I remember the other Karen but had actually forgotten that you originally used Karen as well -- I certainly remember the apostrophe issue, though.
And the whole issue of searching for info is actually relevant to how I started to post. Around the same time that I started coming to the board, I had started using the internet to do research at work, and that was helping to develop my search skills. So it occurred to me that a way I could participate on the board back when I was feeling that almost everyone else knew more about oldies than I did, was to see if I could help find songs and artists that people were looking for. And back then I remember spelling mattered more when doing searches, because search engines didn't suggest alternative spellings the way they do now. And so sometimes I might either be aware that someone else didn't have the correct spelling if I knew the record, or guess that trying a different spelling might find a song. So that was a big part of how I got involved early on, especially because I also just found it very satisfying to find information like that especially if it was about something that was obscure. 

September 6, 2021 9:43 pm  #16

I can't remember when I joined "the board", but it had to be around 1999 when I bought my first computer.  I have to suppose that I stumbled onto Ron's "the board" purely by accident but have always been glad I did.  I have always used my DJ name, "Jim Southern", just in case somebody might have heard my air work back then and remembered me, but it's never happened.  I do appreciate the work that Lorne has put in to keep it going.  My last thought...I deeply appreciate the fact that I got to work with the music back when it was fun, being a DJ was more then a dream come true, and it is still fun to talk about, though it is a down note when our stars leave us.  Thank you all for the years!  JS

September 7, 2021 3:23 pm  #17

If memory serves me correctly, it was Lorne who pointed me to Ron's board in or around '98. Lorne and I worked at the same place and occasionally we would shoot the breeze about music since we both had an affinity for oldies. I told him I was trying to find out the artist of a song for which I only recalled one or two lines of the chorus. He suggested I post it on the board and, voila, I got my answer on the same day. It was Shango's "Day After Day" but I don't remember who I.D.'d it. I appreciate Lorne keeping the board going, but I still miss Jim (Radio Name) Michaels.

September 7, 2021 5:44 pm  #18

Ironically, I think Jim Michaels may have played a role in Ron asking me to fill in for him. I would sometimes give Ron a heads up when I saw Jim flaming people, which unfortunately he was prone to doing at times ... it was too bad, because sometimes his posts were ok and he was capable of bringing some knowledge to the board as a DJ. Anyway, I recall Ron telling me that it helped that I let him know when I saw something on the board that might need his attention, so I think that this was probably the main reason why he thought he could entrust me with monitoring the board while he was away. 

September 7, 2021 8:11 pm  #19

This thread inspired me to go back to the archive.org website to dig up a snapshot of the old board. I was surprised to find that you could actually view most of the posts. Bit of nostalgia for those of us who contributed at the time. I think this particular thread featured some of the last Packman postings.
https://members.boardhost.com/OldiesMusic/">https://web.archive.org/web/20160613222151/https://members.boardhost.com/OldiesMusic/

Last edited by Roman (September 7, 2021 8:18 pm)

September 7, 2021 8:24 pm  #20

Roman wrote:

This thread inspired me to go back to the archive.org website to dig up a snapshot of the old board. I was surprised to find that you could actually view most of the posts. Bit of nostalgia for those of us who contributed at the time. I think this particular thread featured some of the last Packman postings.
https://members.boardhost.com/OldiesMusic/">https://web.archive.org/web/20160613222151/https://members.boardhost.com/OldiesMusic/

The complicated nature of archive.org links causes them to go wonky here, which is why I used tinyURL when I posted one earlier in this thread. I was able to figure out what you were trying to post here, so I created the following link that should allow it to be accessed.
https://tinyurl.com/244cxf2r

September 9, 2021 5:33 am  #21

Roman wrote:

I just read the thread on ampersands and ellipses.  I'm still laughing.

Board footera