The Oldies Music Board

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 27, 2021 9:45 am  #1

Is ABBA Making A Comeback After Nearly 40 Years?

If you believe this article, next month could mark the comeback of one of the most successful groups of the 70s after a 39-year absence.

ABBA Voyage album release date and first new music in 39 years teased in website announcement

August 28, 2021 4:40 am  #2

Re: Is ABBA Making A Comeback After Nearly 40 Years?

I have mixed feelings about bands/groups reforming after so long. If they perform the songs that made them famous, you can be certain their voices will not be the same, or as good. In fact cover bands probably do it better. And if they perform new songs, are they what we want or expect? Sometimes it is just best to play the originals, turn up the volume and remember the good times

August 31, 2021 6:02 am  #3

Bruce NZ wrote:

I have mixed feelings about bands/groups reforming after so long. If they perform the songs that made them famous, you can be certain their voices will not be the same, or as good. In fact cover bands probably do it better. And if they perform new songs, are they what we want or expect? Sometimes it is just best to play the originals, turn up the volume and remember the good times

i could care less about abba, as it happens, but for me, any band coming out of a dormancy of any such length damn well ought to be bringing something intently fresh and relevant to the studio or stage. if they aren't offering new music of equal or better quality than they provided decades ago, then the only reason to exist is to trade on the past for dollars which could have been reaped in the oldies market years prior if, perhaps, the price had been righter. and yeah, i'd rather just listen to the 'classic'  records, then.

the electric prunes may have set the standard for such a late dated reunion, done for all the right reasons, producing brilliant new music as a result.

Last edited by gopher (August 31, 2021 11:49 am)

September 2, 2021 12:21 pm  #4

The new material is finally out. Is it any good? One BBC reporter/fan says it's better than expected. 

"I'm happy to report, they haven't messed it up."

"We join Abba not as the pant-suited disco voyeurs of Voulez-Vous and Dancing Queen, but as they are now - in their 70s, reminiscing about their lives, and looking back at the music they made in their prime."

"The lead track, I Still Have Faith In You, is an ode to their friendship and to the bonds that have matured and survived despite divorce and heartbreak."

Do Abba's new songs live up to their hits?

September 2, 2021 3:40 pm  #5

I like the song.  It doesn't have enough of that great harmony that I love in ABBA, but still, it's good and the singing is still good.  

September 2, 2021 6:22 pm  #6

September 3, 2021 5:40 pm  #7

It's going to be digitized images of their old selves.

September 5, 2021 6:52 am  #8

Taz wrote:

It's going to be digitized images of their old selves.

that should interest new customers who assume any entertainment to be by nature artificial. they won't be disappointed i'm sure.

Last edited by gopher (September 5, 2021 7:09 am)

Board footera