The Oldies Music Board

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 31, 2021 9:23 am  #1

The Lyric From Carly Simon's "You're So Vain" No One Ever Heard

I found this on the BBC website from 2017, but it's really quite amazing. It's Carly Simon herself performing a never used entire verse of her infamous "You're So Vain." She's not entirely in tune while she sings it, but it's such an unusual thing to hear an artist recreate a discarded lyric that it's easily overlooked.

Personally, I think the song is better off without it, but it certainly might have added to the mystique that already surrounds this legendary tune.

Carly Simon plays You're So Vain's lost verse

September 4, 2021 5:12 pm  #2

Re: The Lyric From Carly Simon's "You're So Vain" No One Ever Heard

Speaking of Carly Simon - related to you topic, aflem, but NOT:
I just found an obscure Jimmy Webb album entitled "Still Within The Sound Of My Voice," released 2013.  All tunes on the album are written by Webb but all tunes are duets with other famed artists including Art Garfunkel, America, Lyle Lovett, many more.  What REALLY caught my ear was Easy For You To Say was a duet, Jimmy with Carole King.  Wow, what a treat!  I can't take away from any of the others, but the Webb/King duet is pretty special.  Great voices, great song.

September 4, 2021 6:07 pm  #3

Re: The Lyric From Carly Simon's "You're So Vain" No One Ever Heard

Wait a minute …..

She gave up who one verse was about so People Magazine would put her on the cover and the name of the song is You're So Vain?

I think the question is now answered.

Board footera