The Oldies Music Board

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 21, 2021 2:40 pm  #1

What song?

What song is in this Liberty Mutual commercial?  They only plat a few notes of it right at the beginning when the helicopter shows up.  I wouldn't win bid note one this one.
Edit: Sorry, gopher, make that "tune".

Last edited by Taz (September 21, 2021 2:44 pm)

September 21, 2021 2:50 pm  #2

Re: What song?

According to Shazam, it's Cops On A Bike by Paul Keogh.

September 21, 2021 3:37 pm  #3

Thanks, Lorne, I’ve never heard of it but playing that helped me know what I was thinking of.  It's been buggin' me for days.

September 21, 2021 3:58 pm  #4

I would like to point out that this music does not belong to the oldies. But it doesn't matter here.
I came up with music from the eighties in the former forum and I was rejected at the time.
It's nice to be able to put any music into a discussion without being rejected.
I feel like I'm here in the company of nice people. 

September 21, 2021 4:13 pm  #5

mroldies wrote:

I would like to point out that this music does not belong to the oldies. But it doesn't matter here.
I came up with music from the eighties in the former forum and I was rejected at the time.

In my defense, I didn’t know that until we identified it.

September 21, 2021 4:38 pm  #6

Taz,
No need to apologize. It's nice that it's the way it is.
That everyone can come up with any musical problem and that it is not rejected. That the name of the forum is not taken too seriously. 

September 21, 2021 5:03 pm  #7

I understood why Ron wanted posts on the original forum to only be about music from the 50s, 60s, and 70s, but as the years went on I felt that the board was declining because there was less and less for us to discuss -- and sadly, a lot of the new posts were about oldies artists passing away. So I deliberately haven't wanted to place such restrictions on what is posted here. I've even wondered if a name change could be appropriate at some point, because I certainly don't want to discourage people from posting about newer music once in a while. 

September 22, 2021 4:28 pm  #8

Taz wrote:

mroldies wrote:

In my defense, I didn’t know that until we identified it.

hey, context is everything. if it sounded like an oldie to you, it could have been. what better place to ask, right?

September 23, 2021 12:55 am  #9

Thanks Lorne.  Makes sense to me.  I'm guessing there are more people enjoying a wider scope of the forum.

September 23, 2021 7:54 am  #10

Little Rich wrote:

Thanks Lorne.  Makes sense to me.  I'm guessing there are more people enjoying a wider scope of the forum.

Yes, you've nicely summed up what I'm hoping is the case as well.  

September 23, 2021 8:45 am  #11

I agree with what 'gopher' wrote:
hey, context is everything. if it sounded like an oldie to you, it could have been. what better place to ask, right?

And I know this feeling. When I first heard Gabriella Cilmi and her "Sweet About Me", I thought she is an unknown singer from the 70's. 
It's a great arrangement. Pleasant, moderate and non-exaggerated rhythmic instruments. 

September 23, 2021 5:35 pm  #12

Not once but twice, Ron allowed posts of mine asking the name of the disco version of Rhapsody in Blue (disco being outside his set range).  The second time was because I forgot the answer from the first time and now I’ve forgotten again.  Could somebody help again?  It’s not Walter Murphy’s Rhapsody in Blue.

September 23, 2021 8:58 pm  #13

Is this the one?

September 24, 2021 9:54 am  #14

No, that’s not it.  I forgot, it’s also not the Babyface version.  I don’t think the name of it is Rhapsody in Blue.  The first 40-50 seconds sounds like the classic Rhapsody in Blue maybe as played by Paul Whiteman but then breaks into a defiantly disco version that makes you imagine the colored lights and disco ball.  It was a very popular tune in the disco era.  Even though I wasn’t listening to pop radio, I was still hearing it a lot from other places.

September 24, 2021 12:06 pm  #15

Maybe it is a part of "Hooked On America".

September 24, 2021 12:17 pm  #16

Or Rick Wakeman?

September 24, 2021 3:11 pm  #17

No, not those. Thanks

September 25, 2021 7:15 am  #18

What about this? I'm on a Mexican radio.

September 25, 2021 8:29 am  #19

I can't remember how to post a video, so I'll just name the artist...

How about Deodato's version?

September 26, 2021 11:22 am  #20

No, neither of those.

Board footera