The Oldies Music Board

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 27, 2021 12:25 am  #1

Sue Thompson Gone At 96

Amazing she could sound so young on those records.

September 27, 2021 1:18 pm  #2

Re: Sue Thompson Gone At 96

I was just thinking about her the other day.  I knew she was up in her 90s.

September 27, 2021 2:24 pm  #3

Has anyone notified Norman?

September 27, 2021 4:10 pm  #4

Someone's asleep at the wheel.  I just checked Wikipedia and no one has posted Sue's demise.  They usually have it covered within "minutes" of the posting.
After posting this, I googled Sue Thompson and Eva Sue McKee obit - nothing.

Last edited by Little Rich (September 27, 2021 4:16 pm)

September 27, 2021 4:20 pm  #5

I had seen someone post about her passing on Ronnie Allen's Facebook page on the weekend, but hadn't been able to find an obituary either. However, I just tried again, and this time I found the following.
http://mediaconfidential.blogspot.com/2021/09/rip-sue-thompson-60s-pop-country-singer.html

September 28, 2021 9:23 am  #6

Little Rich wrote:

Someone's asleep at the wheel.  I just checked Wikipedia and no one has posted Sue's demise.  They usually have it covered within "minutes" of the posting.

When I had originally looked for an obituary on the weekend, I had gone to Wikipedia and it was showing that she had died -- but without any source for this info. Looking at the edit history for the page today, I see that it was removed because of that; the person who posted it said they had seen it on social media, and it was removed pending it being reported on a more reliable source. For my own part, I thought that what I had seen on Facebook looked to be valid, but I also figured that there should be proper obituaries soon enough if that was the case. I know that there are times with lesser-known artists this can take quite a while or might not happen at all, but she was a significant enough star that I felt that there should be media items about her sooner rather than later. I checked Wikipedia again today and her date of death has been posted again now, and this time with a media source (different from the one I posted) to back it up. 

October 22, 2021 2:13 pm  #7

I have no idea what took them so long, but the local paper in the small town where she lived finally published an obit, almost a full month after word came that she'd passed away. Who would have guessed that her life involved exposure to Agent Orange?

Legendary country, pop singer dies at 96

Board footera