The Oldies Music Board

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 2, 2021 10:26 am  #1

Musical Stage Company invites audiences into Dolly Parton’s world

When Reza Jacobs was a little boy living in Kuwait, his South Asian grandparents bought the family’s first CD player. He remembers clearly that among the few CDs they bought at the same time, besides Beethoven piano concertos and the soundtrack to “My Fair Lady,” was Dolly Parton’s “Greatest Hits.”
“I’ve been thinking about that,” said Jacobs. “How Dolly communicates across cultures and, especially in these days, across political divides.”
Jacobs is at the centre of a group of theatre and musical artists coming together this month to celebrate Parton’s music and her unique status as a cultural icon. “UnCovered: The Music of Dolly Parton” is the latest iteration of Musical Stage Company’s annual concert series in which songs from high-profile rock, pop and country artists are presented in new arrangements crafted by Jacobs. It will be staged live at Koerner Hall from Sept. 30 to Oct. 2, and a filmed version will stream from late November.

October 3, 2021 5:16 pm  #2

Re: Musical Stage Company invites audiences into Dolly Parton’s world

Sounds cool Lorne - thanks for posting.  Yesterday, on CBS Saturday Morning, they had an interesting piece about Americana/Country artist Brandi Carlile.  What got my attention is the impact that Dolly Parton had on Brandi - VERY, not to mention writing "I Will Always Love You," Whitney Houston's BIG #1 hit.   I never cease to be amazed at how selfless, absolutely NO political alliance/no hidden agendas, how caring she is, amazingly talented, humble, philanthropist/humanitarian.  Her life revolves, largely, around music and she is not afraid to speak her mind on occasion to set the record right.  Quite the Lady!!  The world is lucky to have her!!

October 4, 2021 5:21 pm  #3

I met Dolly when she was on her first tour with Porter Wagoner.  She was standing by herself on the stage while the band was setting up so I walked over and introduced myself.    She didn't exhibit any of the charm or personality that she would acquire as her popularity grew, but she wasn't rude or anything.  My station had played and charted both of her Monument hits so I was familiar with singing.  She has certainly earned all her fame and fortune and I do salute her.

October 4, 2021 8:07 pm  #4

anybody see yola on the opry tv broadcast saturday night? her intro by bobby bones was interesting:

"some say she sounds like dolly, produced by phil spector in muscle shoals."

Board footera