The Oldies Music Board

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 5, 2021 3:19 pm  #1

I'm looking for the original recording (probably from the fifties)

https://soundcloud.com/user-715225765/do-you-know-who-sang-it-in-a-language-other-than-czech-in-the-fifties

This is a Czech recording from 1957, I'm looking for a foreign (probably UK, US) original. 
A.Jack is mentioned as the author of the music. But, I'm afraid that this name may not be correct. 
Do you know who sang it in a language other than Czech in the fifties?

October 5, 2021 6:30 pm  #2

Re: I'm looking for the original recording (probably from the fifties)

If it was from the UK, it's possible that no one here would know it. Although the former board had some British contributors, by the time it ended I don't think any of them were posting there any more. So unfortunately, we may not have any British members here now. 

October 7, 2021 11:55 am  #3

The A. Jack composition may mean it is of German origin. I will try to dig deeper if I can when I have more time to.

Tom Diehl

October 7, 2021 6:25 pm  #4

Thank you, Tom.
Finally encouraging news! Yes, it is very likely that it could have been a German recording originally. It was probably played by German or Austrian radio in the 1950s, which could also be listened to in what was then Czechoslovakia. Do you know who A. Jack was?

October 8, 2021 7:05 am  #5

I'm glad you're helping me here. Tom very inspired me by the words "German origin".
And that's why I found:
Ursula Maury - "Spiegel -Song (Spieglein an der Wand)",  AMIGA (GDR), Shellac 10 '', 1955
And I think that's what I'm looking for. The Czech version of the song also sings about a mirror.
The only problem is that I didn't find the German recording on the internet, so I can't listen to it. 

October 8, 2021 8:47 am  #6

I was curious about "A. Jack", because that surname had sounded English to me. So I did a search to satisfy my own curiosity about this, and found that he was indeed a German composer named Alfred Jack and that he was one of the writers of this song. Really impressed with both the fact that Tom was able to help you, and that you found this song ... from what you're saying, it certainly sounds like it could be the right one. 

Board footera