The Oldies Music Board

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 21, 2021 1:17 am  #1

What Songs Make You Switch Stations

I was listening to CKWW (580-AM, Windsor/Detroit) this afternoon... Herman's Hermits "There A Kind Of Hush" was playing. No sooner had the final notes sounded, when the station slammed into The Ohio Express "Yummy, Yummy, Yummy, I got ... and since I'd much rather listen to fingernails scratching on a chalk-board, I quickly hit the station selector.  It may not be the worst hit song ever recorded, but it would likely get my vote in that category.

Of course, your mileage may vary.

October 21, 2021 8:03 am  #2

Re: What Songs Make You Switch Stations

I agree 100%.  There are so many other Bubblegum songs that could be added to the list - here are just a few that I would immediately turn off:

Simon Says / Indian Giver - 1910 Fruitgum Company
Sugar Sugar - The Archies
Knock Three Times / Tie A Yellow Ribbon - Dawn 
Easy Come Easy Go - Bobby Sherman
Jam Up and Jelly Tight - Tommy Roe

If I were taken away by some bad guys to be tortured, and as part of the process I had to choose having bubblegum music or rap blared at me while I was tied down, I guess I would definitely choose bubblegum, but I think the pain would be equally excruciating.

Having said that, I will admit that there are a few songs in that same genre that I would not turn off, "guilty pleasures" I guess (clearly there's something about Tony Burrows' songs that I enjoy):

Tracy - The Cuff Links
My Baby Loves Lovin - White Plains
Love Grows Where My Rosemary Goes - Edison Lighthouse

October 21, 2021 8:17 am  #3

I really don't mind bubble gum. For me, anything by The Carpenters or The Lettermen would cause me to jump out of a moving car.

Last edited by Roman (October 21, 2021 12:47 pm)

October 21, 2021 8:20 am  #4

Funny you would pick the Ohio Express. I have another "Ohio" named group that makes me reach for the radio - Fire by the Ohio Players. A totally different kind of music, but it's a song that just irritates me and I can't get if off the radio fast enough. Fortunately, it doesn't get played that often!

October 21, 2021 9:27 am  #5

I haven't listened to the radio for music in 20 years due to MP3 players. I hosted karaoke so I tired of songs like
American Pie, Paradise By The Dashboard Lights, I Will Survive, Sweet Caroline.  There are also some very slow songs I hate like The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face, Bridge Over Troubled Waters, Wreck Of The Edmund Fitzgerald. Hate rap. Also do not care for many long rock cutsOutside of maybe one or two songs not a fan of Pink Floyd, Rush, ELP, Yes, Kansas, Styx.

October 21, 2021 8:55 pm  #6

in the mid to late 60's Toronto we had AM radio music stations ...CHUM, CKEY, CHFI, CFRB

I was in my 20's, anything not pop, made me switch 

there's no music like the old music

October 22, 2021 5:23 am  #7

Cloud9 wrote:

I was listening to CKWW (580-AM, Windsor/Detroit) this afternoon... Herman's Hermits "There A Kind Of Hush" was playing. No sooner had the final notes sounded, when the station slammed into The Ohio Express "Yummy, Yummy, Yummy, I got ... and since I'd much rather listen to fingernails scratching on a chalk-board, I quickly hit the station selector.  It may not be the worst hit song ever recorded, but it would likely get my vote in that category.

Of course, your mileage may vary.

i think on some level bubblegum is very much misunderstood. even as a kid, i picked up on its very, to me, punk nature: how much more saccharine can a.m. radio become? well, let's just push the envelope and see...

in some sense, certainly it must have sent a message to pop radio that it was losing touch with changing times and taste even though it could easily sell anything, obviously. not that anyone really got the message of course, certainly not after it became apparent that the gum worked to market products to children (mostly?) as well as it did..

Last edited by gopher (October 23, 2021 8:30 am)

October 22, 2021 8:58 am  #8

Interesting that you picked up on punk. The Cars Just What i Needed bsasically steals the intro. Also the lyrics of Yummy Yummy Yummy are interesting. Ooh you're such a sweet thing, good enough to eat thing. In case you think that is innocent, take Chewy Chewy. Do it to me, Chewy, chew me out of my mind.

October 22, 2021 11:47 am  #9

Mark H. wrote:

Interesting that you picked up on punk. The Cars Just What i Needed bsasically steals the intro. Also the lyrics of Yummy Yummy Yummy are interesting. Ooh you're such a sweet thing, good enough to eat thing. In case you think that is innocent, take Chewy Chewy. Do it to me, Chewy, chew me out of my mind.

yeah, indeed i believe a lot of bubblegum writers were operating on levels generally missed by many label exec's and listeners of the time.

Last edited by gopher (October 22, 2021 12:02 pm)

October 22, 2021 2:49 pm  #10

As I have posted before, to paraphrase a former President, I did not leave radio, radio left me. Now, I am an MP3er, too.  I have to have cable to get television reception.  I listen to the cable music channel during commercials.  The one song that makes me switch back to commercials is “These Eyes” by the Guess Who.

October 22, 2021 4:49 pm  #11

I took your question probably a little different than how you meant it.  I had suffered through enough protest, drug and psychedelic music that sometime in the early ‘70s I PERMANENTLY tuned away from pop stations.  I tuned to an elevator music station that among other tunes, played instrumental versions of some oldies songs.  If I hadn’t tuned to this station I would not have heard what became a favorite, Lucky Day by The Mocha Beans

It wasn’t bubblegum music that made me tune away.

“Chick-a-boom chick-a-boom don't ya jes' love it”
Yeah, I do.

Bubblegum music makes me happy.  Green Tambourine became a favorite when I first heard it.

Other favorites are:
Indian Giver
Quick Joey Small
Jennifer Tomkins
Abergavenny
Western Union
Smile A Little Smile For Me
Little Willy
Fox On The Run

Mark H. wrote:

That reminded me of the joke about the elderly lady that called the cops on the guys whistling dirty songs.

October 24, 2021 7:47 am  #12

Mark H. wrote:

I was exactly  at the age then  those records where aimed  at and of course sailed over my 9  /  10 year old head, I read once that when they were put together the writers would have a real laugh thinking how many double entendres they could throw in there.  From my point of view  have carried them with me from that age and love them all, es 1-2 -3 Red Light which is another one with hidden meaning. 

October 24, 2021 6:42 pm  #13

Speaking of double entendres:  Rocky & Bullwinkle made The Rocky & Bullwinkle Show great for both the kids and the adults - mostly adults.

January 7, 2022 5:47 pm  #14

Feelings, (whoa, oh, oh, feelings) by Morris Albert

January 8, 2022 3:26 pm  #15

I have a pretty wide appreciation of "pop" music.  I felt the 1990's started the slide downhill and I barely know the artists or songs from 2000 forward.  There are of course songs and artists that I won't listen to, for many personal reasons.  However, to pick one, I have to go with a 1966 #1.  I hated it the first time I heard it, and still do.  Thumbs down on ? & The Mysterians "96 Tears".

January 9, 2022 10:07 am  #16

Is 96 Tears a record?

No, but it’s higher than average.

Board footera