The Oldies Music Board

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 10, 2021 7:33 am  #1

McCartney Insists It Was Lennon Who Broke Up The Beatles

The veteran co-leader of the Fab Four maintains he wanted the group to keep going. 

"This was my band, this was my job, this was my life, so I wanted it to continue.”

Paul McCartney says he ‘wanted to continue’ with the Beatles before John Lennon ‘instigated’ split

October 10, 2021 6:47 pm  #2

Re: McCartney Insists It Was Lennon Who Broke Up The Beatles

From what I gathered all four band members were finger-pointing.  I read somewhere (Bob Spitz's 995-pg biography, "The Beatles"?) that McCartney lacked self-confidence and thought that without "his band" he would have a hard time.  It took him a little longer than George and John to pull things together but, IMHO, he had some of his best work with Wings - great music!  Brilliant musician!

October 10, 2021 10:43 pm  #3

Little Rich wrote:

From what I gathered all four band members were finger-pointing.

I think you're right. To the extent I've read about what was happening before they broke up, it has seemed to me that there were so many disagreements taking place that it was just a matter of time before this occurred and that they all played a role in it happening. I certainly would have preferred it if they had been able to stay together, but I think they were all happier as solo artists where they had a lot more control over their own music. 

October 11, 2021 2:31 am  #4

Even Ringo, who was most often referred to as the complacent, low-key individual, was just tired of it all in the end.  I agree with you to some extent re: them staying together.  However, it was inevitable and as you stated, they all needed some space and their own gigs.

October 11, 2021 8:46 am  #5

Yes, when I read that even Ringo was having problems with the group, it helped make me feel that they were all responsible to some extent. I would have understood back then if McCartney or any of the others had wanted to share their thoughts about how and why it happened. However, with all that's come out over the years, I think that it's kind of unfortunate that Paul still wants to talk about it in this way, rather than just say that they all played a role in it and that they each needed their own creative freedom. 

October 11, 2021 8:54 am  #6

I would agree that it's unfortunate that Paul is bringing this up when John can't be here to speak for himself. I kind of wish he'd, you should pardon the expression, "Let It Be."

October 11, 2021 9:22 am  #7

aflem wrote:

I would agree that it's unfortunate that Paul is bringing this up when John can't be here to speak for himself. I kind of wish he'd, you should pardon the expression, "Let It Be."

Yes, I thought the same things as well. To me, what's newsworthy here isn't what Paul has to say about what happened, but the fact that he still wanted to say that John was responsible. He could easily just say that they all needed to move on by the time that the group ended, and just leave it at that.

October 12, 2021 7:50 am  #8

I just thought Paul was confirming that John was the first to say I'm leaving but Paul then was the first to publicly announce he was leaving and everyone pointed fingers at him.  I agree with everyone's comments and feel that they all 4 were wore out and after Epstein died they were a rudderless ship. When Paul stepped up to take the helm he was criticized. Had to be tough.

October 12, 2021 3:27 pm  #9

Just recently, I read/heard (maybe here on this blog site), that "The Long and Winding Road," written by McCartney, was a sad, depressing reflection of "the End" of the Beatles - the nail in the coffin, if you will.

October 12, 2021 7:13 pm  #10

This review of the book about "Get Back" based on the new Beatles film (yes, there IS a book already!) is very long, but also quite revealing. Who broke up The Fab Four? The answer seems to be all of them and none of them, all at once. 

‘Get Back’ Book Review: Beatles’ ‘Let It Be’ Session Transcripts Read Like a Great Off-Broadway Script

October 21, 2021 8:50 pm  #11

from the trailer "Get Back" by Peter Jackson, they were still a tight band. In the workplace it was all about the music. They appear at the end to LOVE each other when the tools of the trade were in their hands.

my guess is they had spent the best part of 10 years getting to be the best, nothing left to do or prove.

at age 30 Lennon & Ringo were getting old, McCartney thinking it was "his band" the others weren't buying it.

they were all rich & famous, done the drugs, the partying ... my guess is they wanted to retire - an excuse finger pointing to see who would say it first.

the young lad Harrison had a few more years.

the outcome ...individually they were successful.

there's no music like the old music

October 22, 2021 6:31 am  #12

wireless radio wrote:

from the trailer "Get Back" by Peter Jackson, they were still a tight band. In the workplace it was all about the music. They appear at the end to LOVE each other when the tools of the trade were in their hands.

my guess is they had spent the best part of 10 years getting to be the best, nothing left to do or prove.

at age 30 Lennon & Ringo were getting old, McCartney thinking it was "his band" the others weren't buying it.

they were all rich & famous, done the drugs, the partying ... my guess is they wanted to retire - an excuse finger pointing to see who would say it first.

the young lad Harrison had a few more years.

the outcome ...individually they were successful.

other than to generate theatre traffic, dunno why macca is bringing it up either. i haven't seen any response from ringo, has he had any? bollocks to whatever revisionist, or not, history, ringo quit first, a year or something earlier but rejoined a short time later, so whatever was going on had been simmering for a good while.

i will defend paul in one regard: when he says "my band" i don't think he means the one that he was in charge of, or ran, but rather more simply the band he was a member of, as opposed to say, pink floyd, whose group he was not in. i think he may be misunderstood in some quaters regarding the quote.

Board footera