The Oldies Music Board

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 23, 2021 4:05 pm  #1

Jay and the Americans announce that Jay Black has passed away

https://bestclassicbands.com/jay-black-obituary-jay-and-the-americans-10-23-21/
Jay Black, the lead vocalist for Jay and the Americans, the New York City-based musical group that earned success throughout the ’60s with such catchy hit singles as “This Magic Moment,” “Come a Little Bit Closer,” “Cara Mia” and “Some Enchanted Evening,” died today (October 23, 2021). Black, who was born David Blatt on Nov. 2, 1938, in Brooklyn, was 82. His death was announced by the singing group on their Facebook page. No cause of death was revealed, though he told a 2014 interview that he was “getting a lit bit of Alzheimer’s.”

October 23, 2021 6:55 pm  #2

Re: Jay and the Americans announce that Jay Black has passed away

This one really hurts for me. Whatever his peccadillos, to me, Jay Black had one of the greatest voices in 60s rock. His incredible vocals on "Cara Mia" continue to make it one of my all-time favorite songs.

I've read that the record company didn't want to release it as a single, thinking it was over the top and too operatic. They were both right and wrong - it was over the top, but in the best way possible. It's right up there in my Top 10 greatest hits and that incredible finish still gives me chills to this day. 

Board footera