The Oldies Music Board

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 29, 2021 9:08 am  #1

The White Plains

I was scanning through Allmusic's new release section this morning when I came across this gem..."The White Plains Collection". I mean, this band had one charting song that I can remember, "My Baby Loves Lovin'", yet they merit a triple-CD comp? They're really scraping the bottom of the barrel as far as reissues go. The least they could have done is included a live version of My Baby. That is if the band ever played live.

October 29, 2021 10:21 am  #2

Re: The White Plains

I always thought White Plains was a studio-only band, which would make a compilation LP almost impossible. But if you believe Wikipedia, it was one of the few real groups Tony Burrows sang with (the rest were essentially one-offs) and they had a few other minor records. But certainly not enough for a retrospective. I think the producers of this thing have another song they're singing - My Baby Loves Cash. I can't see how they can fill it up with anything worthwhile. 

Wikipedia entry on the White Plains

October 29, 2021 11:17 am  #3

I would imagine that it's primarily for the UK market since they were bigger there. But the Allmusic review also explains that it not only includes everything that they ever recorded, but also eight songs by two offshoot groups ... guess it's for all the real White Plains completists out there. https://www.allmusic.com/album/the-collection-mw0003576343

October 29, 2021 4:42 pm  #4

They had a significantly bigger career in the UK, where the release is from and primarily geared towards. Plus, there have been a lot of budget release 3 cd sets out of the UK recently, primarily sold in ASDA grocery stores. Actually, as an American, I've expressed interest on another message board I'm a part of, in purchasing this collection to discover music I've never heard before.

Tom Diehl

Board footera