The Oldies Music Board

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 1, 2021 8:43 am  #1

Dylan Goes Electric, Beatles Autograph & Frank Zappa Collage

There's a PBS show that was around for years called The History Detectives. It was on for 11 seasons, but somehow I missed it, until discovering its website this week.

It turns out the first episode of Season 10 (it aired from 2003-2014) was dedicated to rock and roll. Among the mysteries explored: did a woman have THE electric guitar Bob Dylan played at the Newport Festival that got him roundly booed on stage?; are autographs two young brothers got from members of the Beatles in Miami during the 60s real?; and is a collage put together by Frank Zappa really from the Mothers of Invention leader? 

The good news is that these episodes are still around and online, and I just watched the rock centric one. Interesting to see how they tried to figure out if these seminal rock artifacts are the real things. Even better is it doesn't seem to be geoblocked, which means anyone on either side of the border in North America can watch it for free. (Not sure about other countries.)

I found it pretty interesting. You can see it here. 

But it's not the only musical item of note. (Pun intended.) In another segment, a collector claims to have an amp that belonged to a legendary member of Motown's Funk Brothers. The segment tries to figure out if it's the real thing. It can be found here

Board footera