The Oldies Music Board

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 5, 2021 9:54 am  #1

An update on this board's administration

A couple of months ago, I had mentioned how Ron Smith had quietly given me admin access to the former board, to look after things when he hadn't been able to do so. I have been thinking that it would be good if I could do something similar, but this forum works very differently from the former board -- and so I've been trying to figure out the best way of doing so.

My first thought was to set up another admin id here with the generic name OMB, and provide a couple of regulars with access to it. However, it wasn't that convenient for them to have to log in to that id separately from their own. After discussing this with one of them, memphis boy, I thought that a better solution would be to make him a moderator instead, which I figured would indicate that this role was a secondary one and that people should still contact me about any administrative matters.

However, what I didn't realize was that this would result in Boardhost showing that the board was being moderated by him, at the bottom of the page at https://oldies.boardhost.com/index.php -- even though I'm not shown there as being the admin. This resulted in a regular contacting me this week, to ask if I had stepped down from my role with the board.

So I figured that the best thing to do was to just make memphis boy an admin as well, but to also let all of you know that I'm still the main admin -- especially since I've given people reason to wonder about this. So hopefully this will help clarify everything, and my thanks to memphis boy for his willingness to assist in this way. 

November 5, 2021 11:24 am  #2

Re: An update on this board's administration

Lorne wrote:

A couple of months ago, I had mentioned how Ron Smith had quietly given me admin access to the former board, to look after things when he hadn't been able to do so. I have been thinking that it would be good if I could do something similar, but this forum works very differently from the former board -- and so I've been trying to figure out the best way of doing so.

My first thought was to set up another admin id here with the generic name OMB, and provide a couple of regulars with access to it. However, it wasn't that convenient for them to have to log in to that id separately from their own. After discussing this with one of them, memphis boy, I thought that a better solution would be to make him a moderator instead, which I figured would indicate that this role was a secondary one and that people should still contact me about any administrative matters.

However, what I didn't realize was that this would result in Boardhost showing that the board was being moderated by him, at the bottom of the page at https://oldies.boardhost.com/index.php -- even though I'm not shown there as being the admin. This resulted in a regular contacting me this week, to ask if I had stepped down from my role with the board.

So I figured that the best thing to do was to just make memphis boy an admin as well, but to also let all of you know that I'm still the main admin -- especially since I've given people reason to wonder about this. So hopefully this will help clarify everything, and my thanks to memphis boy for his willingness to assist in this way. 

so what you're basically saying is that robert is now your secretary? hmm... 

i reckon it'll work out just fine, considering who's driving your plane 8^}

November 5, 2021 11:49 am  #3

gopher wrote:

so what you're basically saying is that robert is now your secretary? hmm... 

i reckon it'll work out just fine, considering who's driving your plane 8^} 

To be honest, I've actually been wanting to ensure that someone could act as the admin here if I were to ever have a health issue that kept me from doing this. In that regard, I had also thought about mentioning something that I have to deal with on a regular basis as admin ... new registration requests. I wish I could just allow new registrations without my approval, but I can't because of an ongoing problem with bots trying to register. When I first discovered that this was happening a couple of years ago, I was able to put a stop to them after I required new registrants to answer a couple of questions regarding how they'd found out about the board and where they were located. However, a few months ago I started getting bot attempts again, and this time they were answering those questions and in plausible enough ways. So I added another question asking for a few favorite songs, and while that hasn't stopped the attempts, they also haven't been able to give a proper answer to this. So while I'm able to screen them out ok, I wanted to ensure that someone else could look after accepting legitimate requests while deleting the ones that aren't if I wasn't able to look after doing this. Since Robert has experience with doing this kind of thing from being a co-admin of another group, it's great to have him in the same kind of role here now as well.

November 6, 2021 10:18 am  #4

Lorne wrote:

<snip>
My first thought was to set up another admin id here with the generic name OMB, .. <snip>  

That helps explain a reply to my post in the “What Songs Make You Switch Stations” thread that later disappeared.  Guess somebody was taking it out for a test drive.

November 6, 2021 10:57 am  #5

Taz wrote:

Lorne wrote:

<snip>
My first thought was to set up another admin id here with the generic name OMB, .. <snip>  

That helps explain a reply to my post in the “What Songs Make You Switch Stations” thread that later disappeared.  Guess somebody was taking it out for a test drive.

Yes, that's a good way of putting it. This had led to a regular contacting me as well, wondering if I was ok and if I was still the admin here since OMB was also shown as being an admin. Kind of ironic that the reason I've wanted to set up some kind of backup was in case I were to have a health problem, but I was trying to avoid causing any concern about whether I was ok or not. Glad that I've been able to clarify everything now. 

November 6, 2021 11:13 am  #6

It wasn't me. 

November 6, 2021 1:09 pm  #7

memphis boy wrote:

It wasn't me. 

It wasn’t a bad thing, they enjoyed my comment about whistling dirty songs.

Lorne,
I saw the Administrator label under the name and just thought you were taking a vacation or enlisting help. I had been on another board for a couple of decades that had several sections and thus several administrators even in different levels.

November 6, 2021 1:43 pm  #8

Taz wrote:

Lorne,
I saw the Administrator label under the name and just thought you were taking a vacation or enlisting help. I had been on another board for a couple of decades that had several sections and thus several administrators even in different levels.

Yes, in hindsight I really should have done something about this back when I set up the board, but with running a board being new to me I don't think that it really crossed my mind at the time. And then by the time it did, I wasn't quite sure as to how to go about it ... thinking that it would be best if I could just do it in a way that wouldn't really even be noticed by others here for the reasons that I've mentioned, but then as it turned out that really wasn't possible.
Anyway, I think it's good that people now know that the administration of the board isn't just dependent on one person. I just remembered that I'd found back in September (thanks to the WayBack Machine archive at https://tinyurl.com/dfd8y68) that the original board went back to Nov. 2, 1996, which means that the two boards have now combined to reach 25 years. So I'm mindful of being the custodian of a pretty significant legacy here. 

November 6, 2021 3:57 pm  #9

As you should be Lorne.  Thanks again for stepping into those shoes.

Last edited by Little Rich (November 6, 2021 3:58 pm)

November 6, 2021 6:31 pm  #10

Taz wrote:

<snip> I had been on another board for a couple of decades that had several sections and thus several administrators even in different levels.

Actually, I misspoke. On that other board they were called moderators.

You’re doing fine, Lorne.  That other board went through a lot of growing pains.

November 6, 2021 6:33 pm  #11

Taz wrote:

memphis boy wrote:

It wasn't me. 

It wasn’t a bad thing, they enjoyed my comment about whistling dirty songs.

Lorne,

I remember that. I thought it was funny.

Board footera