The Oldies Music Board

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 19, 2021 9:58 am  #1

Anyone Remember The Beatles Cartoon Show?

I'm not talking about Yellow Submarine. I'm referring to "The Beatles," an animated Saturday morning cartoon show on ABC. It was a huge hit, of course, capitalizing on Beatlemania. But looking back on it, it really wasn't very well written or animated. And outside of using their music, none of the Fab Four actually had anything to do with it. 

Still, it was a huge hit and as a kid, I watched it every week anyway. It ran for a few years. As the article below points out, Paul Frees - aka Rocky & Bullwinkle villain Boris Badenov - provided the voices for both John and George. Another British actor did Paul and Ringo. Neither sounded anything like the real thing. But it didn't matter, because the songs were the real stars and each cartoon included one of them. 

I think the only other animated cartoon show based on a group was the Jackson 5, which also aired on ABC in the early 70s. 

The Beatles Cartoon Show

November 19, 2021 12:03 pm  #2

Re: Anyone Remember The Beatles Cartoon Show?

I never watched it much but did meet Peter Sander at the 2008 Beatle Fest in Vegas. He was designer and co director of the animated series. Nice guy and I bought on of his animations of the band. I even emailed him one of my attempts to copy his work back in the day when I used to sketch. I got a nice reply complimenting my little pencil sketches. 

November 20, 2021 9:58 am  #3

Although the group was fictional, we shouldn't overlook one of my personal faves, Josie & the Pussycats.[img]https://media.comicbook.com/2020/09/josie-pusstycats-cartoon-50-years-1236757.jpeg?auto=webp&width=1280&height=640&crop=1280:640,smart[/img]

November 21, 2021 1:34 am  #4

Although the group was fictional, we shouldn't overlook one of my personal faves, ...

The Archies

November 21, 2021 9:48 am  #5

Also

Board footera