The Oldies Music Board

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 27, 2021 6:30 pm  #1

Black Friday / Record Store Day

Yesterday, being Black Friday, it was also Record Store Day, one of several celebrations of the day throughout the year.

The only thing released yesterday that I had any interest in was a new Shangri-Las 2 lp compilation of the best of their Red Bird and Mercury recordings, with remasterings and new stereo mixes of several of the recorfings.

Being a limited release, it sold out fast, and as I had to work yesterday, I couldn't go searching for it. I learned today that a friend found it for me, but that I have to wait until Christmas to enjoy it.

Did anyone here get to participate in Record Store Day, and if you did, did you end up getting what you wanted?

Tom Diehl

November 27, 2021 8:08 pm  #2

Re: Black Friday / Record Store Day

I didn't know there was another Record Store Day happening. Scanning the list of releases, the one that jumps out at me is Little Feat at Ultrasonic Studios. I've had the boot for years and it's absolutely amazing, so I think I'll pick up the legit copy to pay my dues to Lowell.

November 28, 2021 7:54 am  #3

I didn't know about this either, and so I did a search and found the following.
https://recordstoreday.com/Page/1210
I appreciate what they're trying to do, but I think that the official name of RSD Black Friday leaves something to be desired ... if you have to explain it as much as they do on the above page, I think you've got a branding problem given that most people aren't going to see this explanation. I think that something like Record Store Black Friday would be simpler and distinguish it more from Record Store Day.

November 30, 2021 7:07 am  #4

Lorne wrote:

I didn't know about this either, and so I did a search and found the following.
https://recordstoreday.com/Page/1210
I appreciate what they're trying to do, but I think that the official name of RSD Black Friday leaves something to be desired ... if you have to explain it as much as they do on the above page, I think you've got a branding problem given that most people aren't going to see this explanation. I think that something like Record Store Black Friday would be simpler and distinguish it more from Record Store Day.

everybody loves kentucky fried... i guess ya can't blame small record store farmers for trying to market the product as many ways as possible.given the likely actuary probabilities.

Last edited by gopher (November 30, 2021 7:10 am)

Board footera