The Oldies Music Board

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 10, 2021 1:56 pm  #1

Michael Nesmith, Monkees Singer-Songwriter, Dead at 78

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/monkees-michael-nesmith-dead-1270079/
Monkees singer and guitarist Michael Nesmith, a pop visionary who penned many of the group’s most enduring songs before laying the groundwork for country rock with the First National Band in the early Seventies, died Friday from natural causes. He was 78.
“With infinite love we announce that Michael Nesmith has passed away this morning in his home, surrounded by family, peacefully and of natural causes,” his family said in a statement. “We ask that you respect our privacy at this time and we thank you for the love and light that all of you have shown him and us.”

December 10, 2021 3:01 pm  #2

Re: Michael Nesmith, Monkees Singer-Songwriter, Dead at 78

This one really makes me feel old! I was a huge fan of the Monkees, and really liked some of his compositions - including Sweet Young Thing and The Girl That I Knew Somewhere. A great talent who helped invent the music video with his Grammy winning Elephant Parts. 

I know many didn't take the Monkees seriously, but their music - yes, especially the Don Kirshner stuff - really stands the test of time as simply classic pop tunes. I'm sorry to see him go. 

Last edited by aflem (December 10, 2021 3:04 pm)

December 10, 2021 3:50 pm  #3

I really liked a lot of their music as well, and didn't care (or really understand, as someone born in 1960) why a lot of people didn't take their music seriously. I'm sorry that we've now lost three of them, and at relatively young ages. Here's a statement from Mickey Dolenz about Michael's passing ... it's really good that they got to do one last tour together. 
https://twitter.com/TheMickyDolenz1/status/1469379165908516870

December 10, 2021 4:49 pm  #4

The only one left: Circus Boy...

December 10, 2021 5:58 pm  #5

Little Rich wrote:

I didn't know what Circus Boy referred to, so I just looked it up ... well, as I said, I was born in 1960.  But ironically, I was thinking that it was a reference to The Monkees' tv show, so in a way I see that I was right. I really like the way that they worked it into both an episode of the show and also one of their songs. 
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Circus_Boy#References_in_The_Monkees

December 10, 2021 6:08 pm  #6

Lorne wrote:

I really liked a lot of their music as well, and didn't care (or really understand, as someone born in 1960) why a lot of people didn't take their music seriously.

I think one reason, at least the one big one I remember was learning they didn't play on their record (1st one?) Little did people know then it was the wrecking crew and many many musicians didn't play on their records because it was easier and quicker for them to do it.  Though my age made me a Beatle fan I always found their music good and fun. 

December 10, 2021 6:32 pm  #7

memphis boy wrote:

Lorne wrote:

I really liked a lot of their music as well, and didn't care (or really understand, as someone born in 1960) why a lot of people didn't take their music seriously.

I think one reason, at least the one big one I remember was learning they didn't play on their record (1st one?) Little did people know then it was the wrecking crew and many many musicians didn't play on their records because it was easier and quicker for them to do it.  Though my age made me a Beatle fan I always found their music good and fun. 

Yes, and I wasn't aware of the issue of them originally not having played on their recordings until well into the 1970s. But as I became aware of how true that was of so many other artists, I figured that this issue also wasn't that significant -- and since the Wrecking Crew musicians were so talented, it actually made me feel even better about liking the Monkees' records. On top of that, the fact that they eventually did play on their records also contributed to my respect for them. It was rather ironic to me when their music did eventually get the respect it deserved, and it made me feel good about having liked it all along. 

December 11, 2021 9:42 am  #8

quite a video innovator as well. in the early eighties he had a short-lived syndicated show called, i think, "tv parts". one segment featured a current performance by jerry lee lewis which was filmed in a very avant, but i thought keeping the killer right up to date, way.

December 11, 2021 5:51 pm  #9

Lorne wrote:

Little Rich wrote:

I didn't know what Circus Boy referred to, so I just looked it up ... well, as I said, I was born in 1960. But ironically, I was thinking that it was a reference to The Monkees' tv show, so in a way I see that I was right. I really like the way that they worked it into both an episode of the show and also one of their songs. 
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Circus_Boy#References_in_The_Monkees

From 1957: Mickey Braddock was the name Dolenz went by when he was on this show. 

Here's a rare moment from that show, where a very young (and very blonde) Micky sings. A hint of things to come?

December 11, 2021 10:41 pm  #10

Thanks for the additional info, aflem. After I posted my previous comment, I realized that I would have seen references to Dolenz's previous tv experience in the past, because I have read about how The Monkees were selected and it was definitely a relevant part of his background. But it hadn't stayed with me at all, and I think that's partly because of how I always liked their music and appreciated their talent ... it didn't really matter that much to me how the group came to be, except to the extent that it helped to explain why they got called the Pre-Fab Four and didn't get the respect that I thought they deserved. However, I probably would have paid more attention to these things if I thought that I would someday become the administrator of an oldies board. 

December 12, 2021 12:13 am  #11

I once saw Micky solo in concert a number of decades ago, as part of an oldies show sponsored by a local radio station. (Gary Puckett, The Buckinghams and Peter Noone were among the others on the bill.) I remember being surprised to see Dolenz playing the guitar on stage and not the drums. It turns out that he was pretty proficient on the instrument but they already had two even better strummers - Tork and Nesmith - and so they persuaded him to take a crash course in drumming. 

He managed to pick it up well enough to fake it and play live, although as previously noted here, The Wrecking Crew took care of many of those early hits. It was a long time ago, but I remember finding him very entertaining and of course, he performed all the Monkees hits that he did the vocals on. 

Sadly, Puckett, who had always been a favorite of mine, no longer had the vocal range and I recall being disappointed when he tried to recreate The Union Gap material. 

But Peter Noone was - and still is - a natural born entertainer and he closed the show to big applause.

Board footera