The Oldies Music Board

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 12, 2021 9:06 pm  #1

Ottawa rock royalty, songwriter of 'Signs' Les Emmerson dead at 77

https://ottawa.ctvnews.ca/ottawa-rock-and-roll-royalty-songwriter-of-signs-les-emmerson-dead-at-77-1.5704314
Les Emmerson, the beloved and talented musician who wrote a song that defined a generation and led the Five Man Electrical Band to international stardom, died Friday in an Ottawa hospital.
The musician, loving husband, father and rock and roll song writing icon was 77.

December 13, 2021 10:04 am  #2

Re: Ottawa rock royalty, songwriter of 'Signs' Les Emmerson dead at 77

Big fan of Absolutely Right.

December 13, 2021 3:15 pm  #3

I remember crossing the river from Ottawa to catch Les & the boys at the Gatineau Canoe Club circa 1964.

December 14, 2021 8:46 am  #4

That's sad news I was a really big fan of the band, especially their album Coming Of Age, which featured Absolutely Right. I had a chance to see them in a Toronto club about 10 years ago and I had a nice chat with Les after the show. I also got him and the two remaining original members (Ted Gerow and Mike Bell) from that line-up to sign my Signs 45. I thought I actually got a fourth signature in the upper left corner but when I looked a little closer I saw that it was the price (.66), courtesy of Sam The Record Man.

Board footera