The Oldies Music Board

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 14, 2021 9:22 am  #1

Smokey Robinson - The Actor!

I don't really like most Christmas movies, especially those sappy ones on Lifetime and The Hallmark Channel. But this one surprised me because amongst other people, it stars Smokey Robinson, playing himself. He waited until he was 81 to get a role in a film, this one called "Miracle In Motown." 

It airs on Lifetime in the U.S. and CTV in Canada. It's about a social worker who wants Smokey to appear and sing in her Xmas pageant. I haven't seen it and I'm not likely to, (Forgive the Scrooge-like demeanor, it's just that these kinds of films all seem the same to me.) But the fact that Smokey's in it in a dramatic role is something I thought worth noting. 

"Smokey has been wanting to act,” [star Tia] Mowry-Hardrict said. “He has been searching for projects...He had that moment with me, where we both kind of have long speeches, and as an executive producer, I wanted to make sure he felt comfortable. And let’s just say that I was completely impressed, but not surprised.

"When we first practised it, he knew it. He was so prepared. Smokey Robinson is not where he is by accident. He has been in the business for such a long time, he respects the business, he loves the business. And he is a professional from head to toe.”

Not sure what songs he performs in this thing, but if this is your cup of egg nog, it might be one to watch just because of a Motown legend's presence. 

Smokey Robinson Stars In New Christmas Movie

Board footera