The Oldies Music Board

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 15, 2021 9:54 pm  #1

50 Yrs. On, "My Sweet Lord" Gets Star-Studded Official Video

They didn't really have music videos back in the day George Harrison recorded My Sweet Lord (the sequel to He's So Fine?) But now, half a century later, that's changed with the release of the official video of the song - and while George is no longer here, he gets by with a little help from his friends, including Fred Armisen, Mark Hamill, Jon Hamm, Rosanna Arquette, Joe Walsh, Patton Oswalt, and Weird Al Yankovic - just to name a few. 

And then there's Harrison's wife and son, not to mention Ringo Starr.

It went online for the first time Wednesday and within 9 hours, had already garnered more than 358,000 views. I'm not quite sure what the point of it all is, but I want a pair of those blink-and-you'll miss them windshield wipers!

George Harrison’s ‘My Sweet Lord’ Gets 50th Anniversary Video: Ringo Starr, Mark Hamill, Fred Armisen Among Many Friends Lending A Little Help

December 16, 2021 8:27 am  #2

Re: 50 Yrs. On, "My Sweet Lord" Gets Star-Studded Official Video

That's quite a collection of stars, but your He's So Fine reference got me thinking that it would have been even better if they could have included at least one of the two living members of the original Chiffons.

December 16, 2021 8:46 am  #3

That would have been hilarious, but I think the Harrison family had a big say in this video, so there's no way they'd want that! Still, it's nice to see so many well-known faces turn out for it. And picking them out in the crowd as they whiz by is even more fun.

December 16, 2021 8:55 am  #4

I thought of what you're saying as well, but I would hope that after all of this time it wouldn't be that problematic any more ... and on top of that, when the Chiffons did their own version of My Sweet Lord, they credited Harrison as the sole writer!
http://www.45cat.com/record/lr3630

December 16, 2021 10:02 am  #5

Wow, what a great piece of trivia! I had no idea the Chiffons did a version of the song. To make matters even more meta, they dropped in a few words from He's So Fine towards the end of the tune, around the 3:10 mark. Incredible that I'd never heard of this. You might think it would have made more of a splash, but perhaps by 1975 it was old news. 

December 16, 2021 11:09 am  #6

I remember hearing about the Chiffons' version at the time, and the case was still pending (it was heard in court the following year). But yes, it definitely didn't go anywhere. My guess is that it was just regarded as a curiosity, and it wouldn't have helped any that it had been many years since the Chiffons had last had a hit. 

December 16, 2021 11:24 am  #7

And by the way, in Sweet Talkin' Guy the Chiffons begin the second verse with "Sweeter than sugar, kisses like wine (Oh he's so fine)". That was clearly a reference to their earlier hit, and it makes me wonder if they thought of how they'd done that before when they did it again in My Sweet Lord. 

December 16, 2021 8:16 pm  #8

aflem wrote:

Wow, what a great piece of trivia! I had no idea the Chiffons did a version of the song. To make matters even more meta, they dropped in a few words from He's So Fine towards the end of the tune, around the 3:10 mark. Incredible that I'd never heard of this. You might think it would have made more of a splash, but perhaps by 1975 it was old news. 

It probably didn't make more of a splash because, IMO, the arrangement is pretty dodgy and it doesn't have any of the spark of either the the original He's So Fine or  My Sweet Lord. Worse still, I'm thinking they were trying to use the publicity from the Harrison lawsuit to relaunch their career.

Board footera