The Oldies Music Board

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 17, 2021 7:45 am  #1

an axe too far up its amp?

to be fair, the boot industry has been, politely, complex for nearly half a century (longer, if you figure in jazz transcriptions and the like). so, it's hard to say where or when ire, or lawyers guns and money, should have been invoked.

surely though, beyond an arrogance past my imagination, this lady should not have been the brunt of any complaint, certainly at this late juncture. look out now, wait 'til eric finds out about youtube. he'll be suing you for forwarding a cellphone capture and offering it for  a free wiew, forthwith. well, he may have a case of some sort there, dunno...

bootlegging may not be right (ceartainly not for profit), but it's likely in some sense human nature. perhaps artists can't deal with it at the root source and maybe that's their problem, not ours... however or regardless, if you've already made your money, gobs of it in this case, why should it be innocent shoppers you chase? friends, i believe we may be dealing with a seriously disturbed toon here:
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwj6xdCB4er0AhWFkIkEHWbgDekQFnoECAYQAQ&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.nme.com%2Fnews%2Fmusic%2Feric-clapton-wins-legal-case-against-woman-selling-bootleg-cd-on-ebay-3120275&usg=AOvVaw2r9xp4qQKWMjsUAjr5ZxF4

Last edited by gopher (December 19, 2021 2:42 am)

December 17, 2021 12:08 pm  #2

Re: an axe too far up its amp?

I had read about this elsewhere this morning, and I found it very disappointing to see that Clapton would do something like this. And it's interesting to see your comments about YouTube, in particular because Ron didn't allow YouTube links on the old board whereas I'm fine with them here. I have seen situations where a YouTube video has been taken down, or where I've figured that certain songs aren't available because an artist has taken action about them. Not sure if any artists have gone after people posting videos, or if artists have just contacted YouTube about this ... my guess would be that it's generally been the latter, however. But yes, this does make me wonder how far Clapton might go with regards to such issues. It doesn't change how I feel about posting YouTube links here, but I do think that people uploading videos involving him could be at risk given what he's done in this case. 

December 18, 2021 8:08 am  #3

The most ridiculous thing about it is that it was apparently a boot of a live 1986 concert. A quick search on the net revealed that there are sites out there with dozens of Clapton boots that are readily downloadable for free. Why doesn't Slowhand go after them as they have far more potential to reach a broad audience.
https://ibb.co/98ZwjNZ

Last edited by Roman (December 18, 2021 8:08 am)

December 18, 2021 10:28 am  #4

I had wondered if there were aspects of this situation that contributed to why Clapton's legal team would decide to pursue legal action against this woman, and going by the update to the following article I think that's the case. But I certainly wouldn't be surprised to see him go after other ways that his material is being offered or sold on the internet next ... especially if the covid situation is leaving him with too much time on his slowhands. 
https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/german-woman-fined-eric-clapton-bootleg-ebay-1273130/

December 19, 2021 3:09 am  #5

Lorne wrote:

I had read about this elsewhere this morning, and I found it very disappointing to see that Clapton would do something like this. And it's interesting to see your comments about YouTube, in particular because Ron didn't allow YouTube links on the old board whereas I'm fine with them here. I have seen situations where a YouTube video has been taken down, or where I've figured that certain songs aren't available because an artist has taken action about them. Not sure if any artists have gone after people posting videos, or if artists have just contacted YouTube about this ... my guess would be that it's generally been the latter, however. But yes, this does make me wonder how far Clapton might go with regards to such issues. It doesn't change how I feel about posting YouTube links here, but I do think that people uploading videos involving him could be at risk given what he's done in this case. 

you just reminded me of something i'd pretty much forgotten about. back in the 'old' cellphone days, i can remember, mostly at club and other smaller shows (some arenas too), a few acts confiscated phones at the door, giving them back after the show. as i recall, it wasn't very practical or particularly effective though. beats me if it's still done anywhere, but i'd doubt it..

in any case, somebody needs to put e.c. in a $100 dollar car, and aim him toward nashville.

Last edited by gopher (December 19, 2021 3:22 am)

Board footera