The Oldies Music Board

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 28, 2021 4:28 pm  #1

The Artist Who Turned Down Elvis' "In The Ghetto"

It's hard to imagine anyone else doing "In The Ghetto," Elvis Presley's comeback tune that hit #1 on the charts in 1970. But writer Mac Davis originally had someone else in mind for the song - Sammy Davis Jr. 

Davis, the singer, turned down Davis, the writer and suggested the King for the tune, because "he'd lived some of those lyrics" as a young man. It was a wise decision, since the song skyrocketed to the top of the charts and facilitated Elvis' return to the scene after several long years in the musical wilderness. 

I have a pretty good imagination, but I could not hear in my mind Sammy Davis doing this song. But it turns out I didn't have to. Davis reconsidered after the tune became a hit, and recorded it on an album. If you're a fan of the original, you may want to hold your ears as you listen to him mostly talk the words. It quickly became apparent that the right artist got the right tune. Because you probably never would have heard the version below on the radio. 

‘In the Ghetto’ Songwriter Wished the King of Rock and Roll Sang One Part of This Iconic Tune Differently 

Last edited by aflem (December 28, 2021 4:28 pm)

January 4, 2022 10:08 pm  #2

Re: The Artist Who Turned Down Elvis' "In The Ghetto"

I used to have a small purple book of Elvis facts when I was a kid, and inside the book it said Elvis gave Sammy a big diamond ring for passing on the song and suggesting Elvis record it.

Tom Diehl

January 5, 2022 7:40 am  #3

Re: The Artist Who Turned Down Elvis' "In The Ghetto"

StereoTom wrote:

I used to have a small purple book of Elvis facts when I was a kid, and inside the book it said Elvis gave Sammy a big diamond ring for passing on the song and suggesting Elvis record it.

That sounds like something Elvis would have done! 

Board footera