The Oldies Music Board

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 2, 2022 6:16 am  #1

You will laugh at me now...

I woke up in the morning and had this melody in my head, it's probably a chorus.

https://vocaroo.com/17YLKslD0Ig3

I played it primitively on a virtual piano and recorded. I'm not a musician. Perhaps at least the first (recurring) part is correct. 
There are no words in that part of the song, only interjections. (poo, choo)
Do you recollect a swing pop-song? Maybe from a movie, maybe Marilyn Monroe? Or is it some children's song?
I don't know how to describe it better ...
And again I apologize for my primitive English. 

January 2, 2022 8:25 am  #2

Re: You will laugh at me now...

Three Little Fishies- Originally by Kay Kiser and his orchestra.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qtIX3yAAKsY 

January 2, 2022 8:54 am  #3

jl2wanda wrote:

Three Little Fishies- Originally by Kay Kiser and his orchestra.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qtIX3yAAKsY 

Yes, yes, yes, thank you very very much.
I was afraid no one would know what my amateur piano strumming was about.
jl2wanda, was it too hard for you?

January 2, 2022 9:00 am  #4

Does it happen to the rest of you too?
That a melody appears in your head and you don't know what kind of song or instrumental it is?

January 2, 2022 11:36 pm  #5

Yep, and the older I get (79) the more they show up.

January 3, 2022 8:22 am  #6

Mr. Oldies, I recognized it right away!

January 5, 2022 7:48 pm  #7

mroldies wrote:

That a melody appears in your head and you don't know what kind of song or instrumental it is?

Yeah, I don’t know what triggers it.  For me, it usually starts off as a note or two, maybe a muffled word or syllable then it grows from there.  Sometimes hours, sometimes days. I get a little more of it until I usually figure it out.

In a recent one all I heard was just somebody repeating themselves.  I later got a sound “ma” later, it grew to “ma” followed by “in’. Somehow I realized it wasn’t someone repeating themselves but two people, one repeating the other.

Got it yet?

Turned out to be “Mockingbird” by Charlie & Inez Foxx.  I hadn’t thought of that song in years and have no idea what made it come to mind.

June 25, 2022 5:28 pm  #8

mroldies wrote:

It happened again!  I woke up about 1 AM (diabetes) and as I was trying to go back to sleep, I hear a bit of a melody as if it were far off in the distance.  I only heard the little piece so I kept repeating it in my mind hoping to be able to add to the ends.  It was a slow “bluesy” song.  I got enough to believe it was likely a country/western song.

As I laid there, I came up with the words "… here I sit looking at the bottom of a glass .."  I actually got up and did a search for those words that didn’t help.

I eventually got back to sleep but it was still bothering me this morning.  I somehow came to think it was used in a movie and later thought it was a Clint Eastwood movie.  Clint Eastwood made way too many movies for me to think searching the soundtracks would help.

A little less than an hour ago, the words ".. mixing whiskey and gin …" came to mind but that didn’t make sense, then  ".. mixing misery and gin …" formed.  That was it!  The words should have been “Looking at the world through the bottom of a glass”.  It is from the Clint Eastwood movie Bronco Billy.

I hope this is normal but if it’s not, I’m way too old to worry about it now.

June 26, 2022 1:06 pm  #9

Misery and Gin by Merle Haggard

Board footera