The Oldies Music Board

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 12, 2022 5:06 pm  #1

Ronnie Spector

Just saw a post on FaceBook. Ronnie Spector has passed away.

January 12, 2022 5:18 pm  #2

Re: Ronnie Spector

Saw the same thing on Twitter.Family Statement on the Passing of Ronnie Spector:Our beloved earth angel, Ronnie, peacefully left this world today after a brief battle with cancer. She was with family and in the arms of her husband, Jonathan. Ronnie lived her life with a twinkle in her eye, a spunky attitude, a wicked sense of humor and a smile on her face.  She was filled with love and gratitude.Her joyful sound, playful nature and magical presence will live on in all who knew, heard or saw her.  In lieu of flowers, Ronnie requested that donations be made to your local women’s shelter or to the American Indian College Fund.A celebration of Ronnie’s life and music will be announced in the future. The family respectfully asks for privacy at this time.

January 12, 2022 5:19 pm  #3

January 12, 2022 5:43 pm  #4

I had the good fortune to interview her back in 1980 when she had an album out called Siren. I don't recall much about the record but the title was appropriate as she was hotter than a two-dollar pistol. 

January 12, 2022 8:23 pm  #5

From Variety: (Have to say I've never heard of some of the songs they mention, but the YouTube evidence is in the article.) 

Appreciating Ronnie Spector in 10 Essential Songs

January 14, 2022 10:03 pm  #6

Roman wrote:

I had the good fortune to interview her back in 1980 when she had an album out called Siren. I don't recall much about the record but the title was appropriate as she was hotter than a two-dollar pistol. 

i loved the "siren" album. in fact, i cranked it up so loud once that it cracked my living room window. it was produced by genya ravan (ten wheel drive), and featured lots of the better musicians in the nyc punk scene of the time.

much later, i read an interview in which ronnie said she didn't like the album at all, thought it was too noisy and modern sounding; she apparently didn't care for being associated with punk, and also complained of ravan's cocaine use during the sessions.

regardless, it was a really well done album which certainly introduced her to a new audience, if nothing else.

Last edited by gopher (January 16, 2022 11:19 am)

Board footera