The Oldies Music Board

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 26, 2022 9:28 am  #1

Is This New TV Show Theme An Actual 50's Song?

I'm pretty sure the theme song for the new NBC comedy "American Auto" was made for the show itself. It's only about 8 seconds long, but what strikes me about it is how authentic it sounds. If it's not an excerpt from a decades-old record, it's a remarkable recreation. It sounds exactly like a 50's doo-wop tune, right down to the production technique. 

I just wish it was longer, because I'd love to hear it fleshed out. Does this appear to be based on anything you've ever heard before?

Last edited by aflem (January 26, 2022 9:29 am)

January 26, 2022 9:43 am  #2

Re: Is This New TV Show Theme An Actual 50's Song?

The way that the bass singer begins singing reminds me of The Marcels' Blue Moon. 

January 26, 2022 9:51 am  #3

Yes, that's what stands out to me - how accurately it gets that long lost 50s doo-wop sound. I'd love to know more about it and hear the whole thing. If it exists. 

January 26, 2022 2:38 pm  #4

How about "I am not a juvenile delinquent" by Frankie Lymon & the Teenagers 

January 26, 2022 3:09 pm  #5

Funny you would say that. There's so little of it to gauge by, but I think of Frankie Lymon as well whenever I hear it. 

Last edited by aflem (January 26, 2022 3:10 pm)

January 26, 2022 7:37 pm  #6

aflem wrote:

Yes, that's what stands out to me - how accurately it gets that long lost 50s doo-wop sound. I'd love to know more about it and hear the whole thing. If it exists. 

You have to go to YouTube and review the comments.  That's where I found it:  Zoom, Zoom, Zoom by the Collegians.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZT0y_OCkAk0
And I went to Wikipedia and looked up the Collegians.  Apparently, the Marcels "used" the intro to Zoom, Zoom, Zoom as the intro to Blue Moon.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Collegians

January 26, 2022 7:44 pm  #7

Great detective work. I had a feeling that it had to be something from the actual era, since it simply sounded too authentic and it would be difficult to recreate that so exactly using today's technology. Thanks for solving that mystery. I'm sure there's a story behind how that song got chosen as the sitcom's theme.

January 27, 2022 9:21 am  #8

Agreed, that was great detective work on the part of Rich. I didn't try searching for any info in this case because I didn't think I'd be able to find anything that would be helpful, but this shows why I will often try. Sometimes I figure it can just take someone searching for info in a different way to solve a mystery like this. 

Board footera