The Oldies Music Board

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 8, 2022 9:58 am  #1

Why new music can't compete with old music

According to the author, more and more younger people are listening to the 50s and 60s music of their parents. Whether that's true or not, it's an interesting premise. 

"When host Peter O’Dowd asked his 13-year-old daughter what songs are popular on TikTok right now, she responded with “Put Your Head On My Shoulder” by Paul Anka from 1959."

Why new music can't compete with old music

Last edited by aflem (February 8, 2022 10:00 am)

February 8, 2022 11:53 am  #2

Re: Why new music can't compete with old music

That's interesting. Perhaps that explains why a few of our twenty-somethings have chosen to sing Wanda Jackson, Chuck Berry and yes, even Paul Anka at our karaoke shows of late.

February 9, 2022 5:57 pm  #3

I was listening to an extensive report on NPR yesterday morning, including an interview with a commercial music marketer (name???).  His discussion focused on the cost of developing new talent in the music industry, compared to pulling oldies off the shelves and using a little marketing strategy to appeal to the young people.  Bottom Line:  costs relatively nothing, except for a little research and a few algorithms, to market the oldies.  I've been hearing more and more of the oldies, mostly from the 60s and the 70s, that appear to be appealing to the younger generations - and they're buying them.

February 9, 2022 7:42 pm  #4

Today's column from Gary Mason, a long time contributor to Canada's Globe & Mail newspaper, dealt with how people are throwing "freedom" around these days.  He effectively concluded with "freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose"

CLARIFICATION:    The point is, the Globe & Mail is the country's source of business news and not a place where one would expect to find a reference to Kris Kristofferson lyrics.   But of course everyone is familiar with those lyrics.    Freedom!     Not just another word!    

G.

Last edited by G. (February 10, 2022 7:16 am)

Board footera