The Oldies Music Board

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 7, 2022 5:43 pm  #1

The Stax Record Museum

Never really been to Memphis, but if I ever do, this is one site I'd like to visit - the Stax Records Museum. I'm sure it's a fascinating place, but their website has a great historic timeline of the label, where artists like Otis Redding, Booker T., Sam & Dave and others made music history. 

Worth a look, if only to see the great interface where you can play some of the hits by clicking on a record, which starts to spin and runs the song. 

1957-1968: The Start of something big

1968-1975: The great Memphis Sound

1975-Now: Rising from the ashes

Last edited by aflem (February 7, 2022 5:47 pm)

February 14, 2022 8:22 am  #2

Re: The Stax Record Museum

One of my favorite places to visit. I preferred it to the Sun studio tour, though I've done both multiple times.

Tom Diehl

February 14, 2022 10:03 am  #3

One of the victims of Stax's problems in 1972 was Big Star, a Memphis band which included The Box Tops' Alex Chilton. When Stax's distribution deal crumbled Big Star's seminal first album #1 Record, went down with it. Big Star could have been the next big thing, although they got there eventually anyway by word-of-mouth.

February 16, 2022 7:08 am  #4

StereoTom wrote:

One of my favorite places to visit. I preferred it to the Sun studio tour, though I've done both multiple times.

the stax museum is currently #2 in voting for usa today's top 10 best american pop culture museums. oddly, neither sun, or the blues foundation hall of fame and museum, also in memphis, are even in the running.

maybe most folks who read free hotel papers happen to be r&b fans?

Board footera