The Oldies Music Board

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 22, 2022 4:18 am  #1

any help appreciated

like, for example, who or what's 60th birthday? songs and lineup look great, though i've never heard of lawrence gowan, should i have? is this possibly from a cbc broadcast? as you'll see, no background or context is given, was anybody here at the show? thanks in advance...
https://www.amazon.com/Let-Rock-60th-Birthday-Concert/dp/B000A88F5Y/ref=sr_1_10?keywords=ronnie%27s+dvd&link_code=qs&qid=1645517680&sourceid=Mozilla-search&sr=8-10

Last edited by gopher (February 22, 2022 4:33 am)

February 22, 2022 6:36 am  #2

Re: any help appreciated

It's from 1995. 60 years earlier was the birth of Elvis, but he's mentioned nowhere?

Tom Diehl

February 22, 2022 7:33 am  #3

StereoTom wrote:

It's from 1995. 60 years earlier was the birth of Elvis, but he's mentioned nowhere?

elvis would make sense. couldn't blow up the package pic to see if that's mentioned there, but otherwise nothing in the amazon advert indicates the occasion. thanks, tom.

it did also mention the doc was "award winning". which one(s), i wonder?

Last edited by gopher (February 22, 2022 7:38 am)

February 22, 2022 7:57 am  #4

The DVD booklet states in the introduction:
In January 1995, a major rock'n'roll event took place at Massey Hall, Toronto to celebrate the sixtieth birthday of Ronnie Hawkins, Canada's own larger than the rockabilly legend.

Last edited by mroldies (February 22, 2022 7:58 am)

February 22, 2022 8:09 am  #5

mroldies wrote:

In January 1995, a major rock'n'roll event took place at Massey Hall, Toronto to celebrate the sixtieth birthday of Ronnie Hawkins, Canada's own larger than the rockabilly legend.

WOW! ok... wait a minute, i'll be back after i'm done ordering this pupster.

Last edited by gopher (February 22, 2022 8:12 am)

February 22, 2022 8:26 am  #6

I remember seeing the audio CD when it came out but for some reason the show itself flew under the radar for me. Since it happened in January I'm assuming I was on a beach somewhere. Lawrence Gowan, better known as simply Gowan up in these parts, had a few hits in Canada but right now he's better known as the front man for Styx, although I know that's not a selling point.

February 22, 2022 10:04 am  #7

gopher wrote:

mroldies wrote:

gopher,
You used the interesting word "pupster." Can you explain its meaning to me? Is it American slang?
I'm Central European and only self-taught when it comes to English. Does it just mean "a little thing"?

Last edited by mroldies (February 22, 2022 10:07 am)

February 22, 2022 11:22 am  #8

Here's an article about the concert that might be of interest. 

Hawkins celebrates birthday with all-star bash
Canadian Press NewsWire; Toronto [Toronto]. 12 Jan 1995 

By Michael MacDonald

TORONTO (CP) - Rompin' Ronnie Hawkins, the grey-bearded patriarch of Canadian rock, celebrated his 60th birthday Thursday with an all-star rockabilly bash at Massey Hall.

More than 2,600 fans showed up for the sold-out party, including living rock and roll legends Jerry Lee Lewis and Carl Perkins - complete with Blue Suede Shoes.

Hawkins, dressed in a black suit, T-shirt and red bandana, was flanked by Lewis on piano, Perkins and Jeff Healey on guitars and Lawrence Gowan on keyboards.

Hawkins opened the show appropriately enough with Let it Rock, then slid into a bluesy rendition of down the alley.

During both numbers, Hawkins smiled broadly as Healey's guitar solos electrified the mostly middle-aged crowd.

The party gathered steam with Perkins' Blue Suede Shoes and reached a rocking crescendo with Lewis' Whole Lotta' Shakin' Going On.

From behind dark aviator sun glasses, Hawkins joked with the audience in a relaxed southern drawl.

His voice was strong, but the athletic dance moves that use to thrill audiences are a thing of the past.

But this was more than a dance for a dinosaur. It was a tribute to a man whose influence on the evolution of rock stretches to all corners of the music industry.

Among the 500 songs he has written during his 40-year career, the biggest hits include Mary Lou, Bo Diddley and Ruby - all performed with gusto Thursday night.

Bob Dylan was no stranger to Hawkins' early Toronto gigs. John Lennon and Yoko Ono stayed at his home while preparing for an ill-fated peace festival in the 1960s. And in 1982, he won a Juno for best country male vocalist for the aptly titled album Legend in His Spare Time.

But his most enduring legacy was probably his role in bringing together a band called the Hawks.

The group would later become The Band - featuring Levon Helm and Canadian Robbie Robertson - a five-piece group that would have a profound impact on rock music.

The grizzled singer-songwriter, who was born in Arkansas on Jan. 10, 1935, shows no signs of slowing down.

He recently returned from a country music festival in France, where he played for 60,000.

And the man who recently boasted that he has underwear older than the Rolling Stones now says he's heading south to Califonia to make it big in Hollywood.

Despite his reputation as a hard-drinking womanizer, Hawkins has been married for 32 years. He met his wife Wanda after he settled in Ontario in 1958.

The couple, who have three grown children, now live on an 80-hectare farm east of Toronto.

Copyright Canadian Press Jan 12, 1995

February 22, 2022 2:40 pm  #9

mroldies wrote:

gopher wrote:

mroldies wrote:

gopher,
You used the interesting word "pupster." Can you explain its meaning to me? Is it American slang?
I'm Central European and only self-taught when it comes to English. Does it just mean "a little thing"?

easily done, i hope. except for the "ster" which might be complicated, but may be explained as "one of" perhaps. pup being a young puppy, or new dog (or idea, thing, something of value, of that nature) added to the family, or in this case the family of one's musical understanding and appreciation.

yes, it is slang, if not meant to refer to something new or young in particular, then something of an affectionate nature such as one might have for a puppy most certainly.

hope that helps, or is even remotely enlightening in any sense..

Last edited by gopher (February 22, 2022 3:31 pm)

February 24, 2022 7:19 am  #10

gopher wrote:

mroldies wrote:

gopher wrote:

gopher,

easily done, i hope. except for the "ster" which might be complicated, but may be explained as "one of" perhaps. pup being a young puppy, or new dog (or idea, thing, something of value, of that nature) added to the family, or in this case the family of one's musical understanding and appreciation.

yes, it is slang, if not meant to refer to something new or young in particular, then something of an affectionate nature such as one might have for a puppy most certainly.

hope that helps, or is even remotely enlightening in any sense..

And here I thought it was just a derivative of Jeepster.

Board footera