The Oldies Music Board

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 23, 2022 12:05 am  #1

Johnnie Taylor among newest Blues Hall of Fame members

MEMPHIS, Tenn. (AP) — Five people, an album, five singles and a book have been chosen to join this year’s Blues Hall of Fame class.
The Memphis, Tennessee-based Blues Foundation said the 12 newest honorees of the Blues Hall of Fame will be celebrated at an event on May 4.
Singers Lucille Bogan, Little Willie John and Johnnie Taylor are among the hall’s newest members.
Songwriter Otis Blackwell, who wrote “Don’t Be Cruel” and “All Shook Up” for Elvis Presley and “Breathless” and “Great Balls of Fire” for Jerry Lee Lewis, is also being honored by the hall.
So is Mary Katherine Aldin, who has spent decades as a DJ and compiler or annotator of blues and folk reissue albums.
https://toronto.citynews.ca/2022/03/18/johnnie-taylor-among-newest-blues-hall-of-fame-members/

March 23, 2022 4:20 pm  #2

Re: Johnnie Taylor among newest Blues Hall of Fame members

Thanks again Lorne.  This inspired me to review some history on the Blues Hall of Fame and to compare the BHOF and RRHOF.  Interesting comparison.  Something this comparison and your note brings up and I don't know that I have ever seen discussed here on this forum:  What, or who, is the final authority on the composers of music.  I have several resources that I review and MANY times there are vastly different pieces of information, in particular, in the listing of the composers.  Along those lines, I read somewhere(?) that Elvis' contracts often clearly stated that he should be listed on many (all?) of the songs that he released, as the co-author without so much as making suggestions for small changes in a measure in the music - whatever.  As the article you presented states, Otis Blackwell wrote at least a few of Elvis' hottest hits when, in fact, Elvis may or may not have contributed anything to the final composition.  And while I'm bringing this up, typically (whatever that means), who determines the order in which the names are listed on a genuine multi-authored composition?

Board footera