The Oldies Music Board

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 19, 2022 7:45 pm  #1

The Kingsmen's "Louie Louie" Causes A New Controversy

You wouldn't think an almost unintelligible record made more than half a century ago could still be causing trouble for someone, but it is. Much like Neil Diamond's "Sweet Caroline" has become a tradition for the 7th inning stretch for Boston Red Sox fans, the Seattle Mariners had a long-standing tradition of playing the Kingsmen's classic during their baseball break. 

But this year, the team suddenly switched the beloved iconic recording to one by a more modern Macklemore. Needless to say, some fans are outraged and the lack of "Louie" has led to a strong protest by fans - and some newspaper writers. You might say they're not happy that "me gotta go now" has gone.

Here’s why the Mariners aren’t playing ‘Louie Louie’ during the seventh-inning stretch

April 20, 2022 7:30 am  #2

Re: The Kingsmen's "Louie Louie" Causes A New Controversy

Perhaps the outrage is aimed more at their choice for a replacement, a washed up rapper with a bad haircut. Although Macklemore's a Seattle native, wouldn't Jimi Hendrix be a better choice? Can't you just hear the fans chiming in on 'Scuse me while I kiss the sky ("the sky, the sky, the sky")

Last edited by Roman (April 20, 2022 7:34 am)

Board footera