The Oldies Music Board

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 8, 2022 7:16 am  #1

Rare Hit Songs That Inspired TV Shows Or Movies

I happened to hear Kenny Rogers’ “The Gambler” the other day and it made me realize it was one of the few songs that inspired a movie or a TV show. Most of the time, a specific tune might hit the charts that was used in an existing flick and become famous as a movie theme song (the James Bond series comes to mind.) But there aren’t many that go the other way - starting out as a song and inspiring a flick.

Yet Rogers starred in three “Gambler” movies that were made between 1980 and 1991. None would have existed without the original 45.

Another song that spawned a series was Jeannie C. Riley’s “Harper Valley PTA,” which wound up for 2 years on NBC, with an ex-Jeannie of a different kind in the lead: Barbara Eden.

And then there was 1978’s “Convoy,” a movie which was inspired by the C.W. McCall hit.

I can’t think of any others that made the leap from the disc to the screen, unless you want to count Alvin & The Chipmunks, which began life as “The Chipmunk Song,” a 1958 novelty record that led to the cartoon.  

Are there more?

Last edited by aflem (May 8, 2022 8:07 am)

May 8, 2022 8:39 am  #2

Re: Rare Hit Songs That Inspired TV Shows Or Movies

Interesting topic. If I can extend it to include albums, I'll add that the Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band album inspired an unsuccessful stage production which then inspired an even more unsuccessful movie.

May 8, 2022 8:48 am  #3

Hadn't thought of that one, although I recall that film was an infamous bomb! But you're right - that's a perfect example. 

Here's another one I just thought of, although it wasn't the inspiration for a series, just its title. When ABC signed Gabe Kaplan to star in a sitcom, they were just going to call it "Kotter." But when execs. heard John Sebastian's incredible theme song, they changed the name to match it and it became "Welcome Back Kotter." 

Not sure if that has ever happened before or since. 

May 8, 2022 2:21 pm  #4

I'd completely forgotten "Ode To Billy Joe," a terrible film starring teen heartthrob Robby Benson that came out of the Bobbie Gentry classic. (The record spelled it "Billie" but the film changed it to end with a "y".) I've never seen it but I've heard the critics lament whatever it is they threw off the Tallahatchie Bridge. It came out in 1976. 

And wasn't there a movie based on Vicki Lawrence's one hit wonder, "The Nights The Lights Went Out In Georgia?" I think it came out in 1981 and wasn't very faithful to the plot of the original song. 

Also coming out of a tune: "Take This Job and Shove it," Johnny Paycheck's country classic about telling off the boss, and - to return to the start of this thread - I understand Kenny Rogers scored twice in this odd category. They made a movie out of "Coward of the County" in 1981 in which the former First Edition crooner also starred.  

Another one was 'Yellow Submarine," the Beatles cartoon. That reminded me that The Beatles also had their own cartoon show on ABC in the 60s, although they never voiced anything but the songs used in it. 

May 8, 2022 10:32 pm  #5

Peggy Sue Got Married

May 9, 2022 1:34 am  #6

Coal Miner's Daughter
Paper Moon

May 9, 2022 6:00 pm  #7

"And The Beat Goes On (The Sonny & Cher Story)" was a 1999 ABC TV original film inspired by their song and based on Bono's autobiography.

May 9, 2022 6:21 pm  #8

I was always kind of surprised that they never made a movie out of Harry Chapin's classic "Taxi." Seems to have all the elements for a flick. 

May 9, 2022 9:16 pm  #9

Gene Autry's Frosty the Snowman & Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer

May 12, 2022 6:37 pm  #10

Oh, Pretty Woman

Board footera